Jacketed Stove & Stove Top Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 24, 2017
Adirondacks
I just bought a cast iron jacketed stove with a steel firebox and I'm wondering if a stove top thermometer is worth using since it's taking the temp of the jacket and not the firebox itself. Any thoughts?

You can use it but it's not going to be giving you a reading of the hottest part of the stove. I use one on my jacketed stove but it has swing out cooking grates so I put it on the stovetop itself.

I just bought a cast iron jacketed stove with a steel firebox and I'm wondering if a stove top thermometer is worth using since it's taking the temp of the jacket and not the firebox itself. Any thoughts?
Depends on the stove top design. On some stoves the griddle area is in direct contact with the steel. On others it is not. On the Alderlea the trivet swings away and is slotted so that one can see the thermometer thru the slots.

Is this for the Efel? I'm not sure if there is an air gap between the steel firebox top and the cast iron top of this stove. It wouldn't hurt to try a thermometer on the top. The temp may be less than the steel top, but the thermometer may still provide a relative reading, say 100º cooler.

Last edited: