Jamestown J2000 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ptimpone

Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2009
Montpelier, Vermont
Hello All,

I think I am in the right forum at ask this question.

I own a Jamestown J2000, I believe it is a late model from the 90 or early 2000. Purchased it used last year. Worked great all winter and then in the spring it made a weird electrical noise and stopped working. I checked the manual and it mentions resetting the circuit board, but does not give any directions on how to do this. I am in IT and with a computer I would simply remove the board and place it back in. Is it the same process?

Thanks in advance to everyone for reading and posting suggestions.

Hello, I have a J1000. I dont have the answer but call glenda up at jamestown,she could advise you..

good luck
matt

I was beaten to the answer, but, yes, don't hesitate to call Jamestown. They've been very helpful in supporting my well-used J1000.

Sorry to have beaten ya to the punch......I love my 1995 j1000.I bought it well used 2-3 years ago.I got it for 125.00.....looking for another one also

Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

It turns out the fuss was burned out, I had to do a second look to see that the tiny wire was gone.

Purchased a new one and it is running.

Thanks again for all the awesome advice.

Peter

Okay so long as we know that's what the fuss was all about :) I assume that was a typo.

Does everything appear to be working: exhaust fan, auger, circulation blower, board, etc? Have you checked your intake or exhaust for any blockage?

I pulled out the exhaust pipe and found a bunch of ash caked with just a little hole.... I cleaned it out and everything started working. One thing I learned was within the chamber there are two panels that can be removed and that was filled with ash as well. We where never told to clean that out. Once we cleaned out both the ash in the panels and in the outtake pipe it was like the day we had the stove installed.

I am learning slowly...

Question, we are thinking about getting another stove, we want something smaller. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Peter

ptimpone said:
I pulled out the exhaust pipe and found a bunch of ash caked with just a little hole.... I cleaned it out and everything started working. One thing I learned was within the chamber there are two panels that can be removed and that was filled with ash as well. We where never told to clean that out. Once we cleaned out both the ash in the panels and in the outtake pipe it was like the day we had the stove installed.

I am learning slowly...

You found out what a LOT of new owners don't...these stoves must be kept CLEAN to work properly. I think 80% of the problems seen on this forum can be traced back, one way or another, to a dirty stove.

ptimpone said:
Question, we are thinking about getting another stove, we want something smaller. Any suggestions?
Peter

Peter,

There are several brands to choose from. Harmon, Englander,Enviro and Quadra fire seem to be the most popular.

Your first step is the dollar allowance. How much can you spend?

Second is the style your looking for.(this one usually raise's the budget!)

Then you need to be sure there are enough BTU's available to heat the space even in the most extreme cold. Not enough and you will need to have an additional source to assist the stove. Don't go to small!

Lastly, We are heading to another era of pellet heating. Multifuel(I am starting to sound like a broken record). If you are going new I would steer myself to a multifuel unit. Even though we don't have many choices as of yet! You can burn even the worst wood pellets without issues. So I would at least look at them.

Take the time to check out some stove's and post back with the models you seem to like.

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.