January 2006 electric bill $460....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
January 2006 electric bill $460....

January 2007 electric bill $76 :)

And my house has been warmer by far.

Just felt a little proud of myself for once, though it will take another 5 years to pay itself for the saws, splitter and furnace.

I even saw the PSE&G (electric company) van pull up into the driveway recently, take one look at the wood pile and cloud of smoke coming from the chimney, and U-turn right out of there. I guess he was coming to see what was up with the bill.

-Dean

I've lowered my bill, ...it went from about $500.00 every two months to about $150.00 every two months. The great thing is, humping all this wood, splitting and moving again,...it is the greatest workout plan as well!

Great job Dean, I know PSE&G in our area makes periodic unannounced stops. They even replaced the meter at a friends house because they thought it was broken. I think he runs two stoves year round when needed. I can't wait until I'm at that point, but I'm still training my better half to keep her hands off the thermostat.

Awesome!
Now what to do with saved money? Toys are ok, but i've actually listened to the old man and went to a bank far enough away to be inconvenient and started sticking the "saved" money in there. Nice rainy day fund is building..

I confess. Last year our electric bill was $63 for January. This year it's $97!

But last year during January I burned about 1/2 cord of wood @$200/cord ($100) + about $30 propane + ~40 bags of pellets ($144). Total Jan 2006 heating came to about $274.

This year, the wood was free. I did rent a splitter for $65 for the 3 cords of splitting, so figure ($15) for Jan. wood. We used no propane or pellets and that ($34) electric bill boost was the heat pump heating our house. So I figure it cost approx. $49 to heat this Jan. and part of that month was an unusually cold period for this area. Not bad for a 2000 sq ft. old farmhouse. Insulation, good windows and caulking rule!

BeGreen said:
I confess. Last year our electric bill was $63 for January. This year it's $97!

But last year during January I burned about 1/2 cord of wood @$200/cord ($100) + about $30 propane + ~40 bags of pellets ($144). Total Jan 2006 heating came to about $274.

This year, the wood was free. I did rent a splitter for $65 for the 3 cords of splitting, so figure ($15) for Jan. wood. We used no propane or pellets and that ($34) electric bill boost was the heat pump heating our house. So I figure it cost approx. $49 to heat this Jan. and part of that month was an unusually cold period for this area. Not bad for a 2000 sq ft. old farmhouse. Insulation, good windows and caulking rule!

Didn't you have a little "forced" electric savings in January?

The outage was in December. We were on our own for a week then, power came back just before Christmas.

But my wife got interested in the figures and corrected me. The numbers I posted should be for December not January. So yes, that included the forced savings. I was looking at the bills book, but that really is for the previous month. :red:

The actual January electrical bill was 73 for last year and 121 for this year. So recalculating for January heating bill this year we came up with roughly $63. Still very good, especially considering last year was much warmer in January. Last year was 565 degree days in Jan. This year is was 833!

Round about April we'll do an average of all the heating related costs as compared with last year. We'll also tally up degree days. to see where we stand in comparison.

BeGreen said:
That was in December. We were on our own for a week then.

Ah OK. How time flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.