January here whats your best and how much you got?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Cord and a half of beech in the garage, and a 1/3 of a cord of hedge not brought in yet.

smokinjay said:
Cord and a half of beech in the garage.

That sounds good to me, I'll be putting in half a face cord of hard maple and the same for cherry. Holding back on the beech until I here real cold weather is coming in.

zap

I got about 8 cords of dry wood, of which about 70% is red oak, 15% sugar maple, the rest, red maple, white birch and apple.

I also have about 8 cords of 50% sugar maple and 50% red maple that is green.

Weather has been cold but not alot of snow here so I have been feeding the ESW18TR with wood from the tarped heap way out back till 2 days ago. Just shut the 18 down and fired up the Woodchuck and am now using the wood out of the shed attached to the furnace room . If I remember right somewhere between 6-7 cords in there and under Goodyear just out side. 90% or better 3-4 year old beech. I' thinkin I'll have half or better left over come spring.

Ash, ash and more ash.

Some was supposed to be sold this week but the guy called and said it would be a couple weeks yet before he could get some time off work. That's okay. The wood won't run away. But I'm wondering if we'll have to dig into the ash we cut last winter if he takes out a big load. Not sure but if so, that is fine.

15 cord of Black Ash, 10 cord in the shed, 5 cord stacked outside. Don't know what that would be in girlie men face cords since I buck to 20".

1/2 cord petrified oak, 1 cord black locust, 1/2 cord white ash, face cord of elm, sugar maple, norway, pine ready for this season.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ash, ash and more ash.

Some was supposed to be sold this week but the guy called and said it would be a couple weeks yet before he could get some time off work. That's okay. The wood won't run away. But I'm wondering if we'll have to dig into the ash we cut last winter if he takes out a big load. Not sure but if so, that is fine.

Dennis, just tell him the longer you keep it, the more "seasoned" it'll be, and the higher the price. :lol:

Just under 4 cord left in the front yard, mostly oak, and some maple, of what evidently is "girlie man" length 16-18".
About 7 more in the back field. Mostly oak.
Stove will take longer splits e/w, but I don't need to cut that long to try proving my manhood on an internet forum. :coolsmile:

PapaDave said:
... of what evidently is "girlie man" length 16-18".
Stove will take longer splits e/w, but I don't need to cut that long to try proving my manhood on an internet forum. :coolsmile:
I think you missed the joke. It's not about the length of your wood, it's about a real cord versus face cord and someone calling a real 128 cu ft cord a manly man cord.

25+ full cord of oak. 5 of which that has been seasoning over 3 years and I am burning now.

quads said:
25+ full cord of oak...
See what the girlie men have done. Now us manly men have to start saying stuff like full cord or real cord or even spell it out as 128 cu ft.

We (manly men) have the law on our side and own the rights to the term "cord". The girlie men should be forced to say "face cord" and then further quantify it since the length of their girlie man wood matters.

A cord of Pine and Sweetgum for the rest of this year. ~2 cords Oak, Black Locust and Redwood for next year.

LLigetfa said:
PapaDave said:
... of what evidently is "girlie man" length 16-18".
I think you missed the joke. It's not about the length of your wood, it's about a real cord versus face cord and someone calling a real 128 cu ft cord a manly man cord.

Oh, a joke. Dang it.
yep, 128 cu ft IS a manly man cord. Actually, even a girlie man cord, or even a girlie girl cord. :coolsmile:
My face cords are only a third that. YMWV
Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Whatever the wood guy dumped in my driveway. I just throw it in and it keeps my house 70+. 15 face will get me thru easy enough...that was last year. This year a baby and paranoid wife means I spend 800 bucks in natural gas instead

I have about 1/3 manly cord of Red Oak that I am saving for the real cold. Still burning a mix of Norway Maple, Cherry, and Locust for now.

FYI...

I have 5 GRIZZLY BEAR cord of of red oak bucked to 22 inches.....2 years ago

I have 5 MANLY MAN cord of chestnut oak bucked to 20 inches.....1 year ago

I have 5 BIG BERTHA cord of log length red oak on order.....

I have 2 GIRLIE cord on the back porch, bucked and split anywhere from 10 to 24 inches, cherry, ash, locust, hickory, and black walnut :)

I have alittle over 2 cords of cherry and oak left to get me thru this year and I think I'll have to buy 2 cords.

I have 4 cords stacked for next year that are also oak and cherry. I want to add to this so I am not in the same boat next year. I hate buying wood.

About 5 cords of mixed hardwoods under a roof. Of the 5 under the roof, I'll have 2 left over for 2010-11 that will be supplemented with dead standing oak and species folks don't want to pay for (pine, popple, birch).

About 9 out back seasoning for customers (I'm very small time. Wood sales pay for the small amount of oil we burn, the occasional saw, and other expenses related to woodheat).

First year burner

"it's pathetic' :<(

ChillyGator said:
First year burner

"it's pathetic' :<(

North Florida eh? Man it's New Years eve, and I'm having trouble not asking you if you burn "orange" :)

Ain't never heard of anybody talkin' how "orange" splits, or how many btu's you get outta "orange", haha!

ChillyGator, you'll come around and before you know it you'll have plenty of firewood. Idea is to get ahead, get it split, get it covered, get it seasoned to around 20% or less moisture, and get it burned!!!

Happy new year to ya.

Yo', Chilly-G (that's actually kinda' cool), I've never been in your part of the country, but does ANYTHING get below 20% moisture content in that area? Heck, I'm 20,000 ft.over your elevation, and my shorts still register +20%. OK, only on occaision, but you get my drift. Happy New Year!

2 cord of well seasoned Shagbark hickory & White Oak ( c/s/s over 24 months)
1.5 cords Ash & Black Birch (c/s/s 12-14 months)

WB

10 cords of pine in the yard, 2 cords of 2 year old pine in the wood shed. hope its all enough. And yes, real man cords, 128 cubic inches (er) feet. Dangd pine, 128 cuft of wood = 128 cuft of fly ash and 2,000 btu........ or so im told.

Ive burned thru 31/2 cord of petrified white oak standing dead cut and split for a year . 1 cord left under cover . 2 cord of hard maple in the yard . 15 cord at the shop. My old DW would burn 31/2 to 4 cord a year max . My Equinox is burning wood like a train . John

Status
Not open for further replies.