Japanese Iron Kettle Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firecozy

Nov 5, 2008
Portland OR
I have an Avalon Pendleton w/ trivet and thought my cast iron japanese tea kettle would look nice on the trivet. But after sitting up there for a while it started to offgas something similar to what I experienced when the stove was new. Is this just the kettle curing? Prior to this the kettle has only been used to pour boiling water into it. Or are these not made to be placed under a heat source? Except its cast iron!?!?! Why wouldn't it? The inside has an enamel coating if that helps. I imagine that traditionally these were used over open flames.

Any thoughts?

Firecozy said:
I have an Avalon Pendleton w/ trivet and thought my cast iron japanese tea kettle would look nice on the trivet. But after sitting up there for a while it started to offgas something similar to what I experienced when the stove was new. Is this just the kettle curing? Prior to this the kettle has only been used to pour boiling water into it. Or are these not made to be placed under a heat source? Except its cast iron!?!?! Why wouldn't it? The inside has an enamel coating if that helps. I imagine that traditionally these were used over open flames.

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking your first thought is correct . . . not knowing what exactly a Japanese tea kettle is . . . I suspect you've heated it up enough to cure some of the paint.

I have had my eye on some Japanese teapots for quite a while, but after much research they are only designed to brew and serve the tea and not heat water.

I would imagine if you did just use it on your stove for moisture only the smell would eventually go away.

Untill then who knows if the smell is unhealthy for you though.

Andy

Andy- as a person that makes tea pots- yup. A kettle is used for heating. A teapot is used to brew/steep tea, and serve.

Those iron pots are normally enameled or painted- probably not a great idea to heat it without water if you want to use it.

I have had one of these small japanese teapots on my stove since installing 3 seasons ago. I notice a little rust under the cover, the rest looks great. You are just smelling the offgassing from the paint.

I use mine without a trivet because I could not get the water to boil without it.

Just use it... as long as you are not planning to drink out of it don't worry... it is cast iron :)

Status
Not open for further replies.