Job creation from a 1%er

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy would make more money at his new job...;lol
daily_afternoon_randomness_49_photos38_1394071927.jpg

Reactions: Frozen Canuck
You neglected to mention that overall US income would increase. Mostly at the bottom rungs. From the same CBO analysis.

If we want to get philosophical we also have to address the bigger problem. The population keeps growing while more and more labor is eliminated by technology and automation.

Yes that's one of the elephants in the closet, probably the largest one. The, or an answer, that's the tough part.

Even in the trades with the relative lack of onsite robotics it's amazing how much work is accomplished with fewer people over the decades, primarily through improvements in equipment, materials & technology. Heck we even have robotic pipeline welders now & they don't mind a 24 hr shift at all.

Now when some smart young science type figures out robotics to the point where they are job site capable with interchangeable hands & feet & why limit those to just two each, then we are going to have some major decisions on our hands, just the two we have.;) I will likely miss that one but our kids & grandkids….well.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
[

Sorry, I must have missed the memo. I didn't realize that Canada or any of it's inhabitants had any say so what so ever in the policy's of the U.S. This aint a personal bash but, just sayin.
No opinion about Putin in Ukraine?
For some reason, you think there will be no consequences to just raising wages higher. Even the govt studies admit it will cause approx 500,000 jobs lost. Granted, I have slim confidence in govt to know anything,, but you lefties seem to love govt,,so why don't you believe them on this?
Stop with the right/left stuff or this thread is canned. We're all in this together (as the famous Canadian said). So far it has been a good, civil discussion. Let's keep it that way.

No opinion about Putin in Ukraine?

Stop with the right/left stuff or this thread is canned. We're all in this together (as the famous Canadian said). So far it has been a good, civil discussion. Let's keep it that way.
I steered away from a political point of view on this discussion I believe. If what I have typed here was taken that way then so be it. I have other places to voice my political beliefs. When I do so it is a face to face debate not a blown out of proportion internet match of the mindless. Trying to state the obvious to the oblivious is getting tiresome any ways. I will resign myself to sitting in my ivory tower and ordering my serfs to do my bidding since they will soon be able to afford to take over the monetary risks involved in the day to day operation of a small business. Good day Gentlemen.

You neglected to mention that overall US income would increase. Mostly at the bottom rungs. From the same CBO analysis.
All from the bottom rungs. All upper rungs would decrease. The money has to come from "somewhere"

In all wealth redistribution plans, someone gives up money when another takes it.

I believe the lower rung is a starting point,,, not a career. It should have min wage so there is an incentive to step up to the next rung,,,,NOT a living wage. I do not believe a person should be able to make a living on min wage.

Also, that study is done on a proposed increase to $10. How many jobs would be lost if it was $15 as the OP is suggesting! The economy would be devastated! Job loss would be enormous! I believe it would break the economy.

well let's see. back in the day when we had to fight for new employees, our pay rates were driven by labor competition. if other shoe related companies in our area were paying $3-4.00 /hr back in the $2.50 days, we paid $3-4.00/hr. hell, even the fast food people pay over in good times. I imagine that most industries are the same. our labor pool extended some 23-30 miles out with people taking public trans. today with a lot of industries it is world wide. change, I guess.

so, if they raise the minimum wage to 15, what is really going to change? its not like we are all going to go out and hire 20 people because they raised it. We are going to continue what we do, it will affect lower level service jobs, and probably not all that much. Around here most fast foods pay more than minimum now. A few dollars for the ones at the bottom is not bad and if you hire them and they are no good you will get rid of them no matter what the wage. Look at it this way, if you are paying 8 an hour and they get govt subsidies, which they can you are just paying it in taxes to support them. Might as well try to get them to work and get them off the system.

so, if they raise the minimum wage to 15, what is really going to change? (snip) Around here most fast foods pay more than minimum now

What would happen at your company if you had to raise wages over 50%? No effect?

Mcdonalds in ohio makes $7.95-$9 per hr(per mcdonalds employment ad). To go to 15 an hour would almost DOUBLE the wages.

What would happen at your company if you had to double wages? Still no effect?

All from the bottom rungs. All upper rungs would decrease. The money has to come from "somewhere"

In all wealth redistribution plans, someone gives up money when another takes it.

I believe the lower rung is a starting point,,, not a career. It should have min wage so there is an incentive to step up to the next rung,,,,NOT a living wage. I do not believe a person should be able to make a living on min wage.

Also, that study is done on a proposed increase to $10. How many jobs would be lost if it was $15 as the OP is suggesting! The economy would be devastated! Job loss would be enormous! I believe it would break the economy.

The entire economy is one big money redistribution system. MOney has to keep flowing for the machine to operate properly

Thin about it, there are a LOT of people out there who dont have the skills or education for much more than basic manual labor. If we dont pay them a living wage are they going to be living in a cardboard box out in the street? Probably not, they will be living in govt subsidised housing and buying food with govt subsidized EBT cards and getting free health care at the ER because they cant pay the bill. All of which get paid for by the rest of us through taxes and insurance premiums. Money which is recycling back into the economy to buy goods and services.

Instead, force employers to have a heart and actually pay a living wage and they can buy all those things themselves, and the money still recycles back into the economy to buy goods and services. The only difference is this time Uncle Sam isn't playing middleman. And since those folks are earning the money rathre than getting a handout, maybe they have a little more pride and incentive to want to go out and educate/better themselves??

30 years ago we didn't have this problem because automation and foreign labor couldn't do these jobs. But we cant turn back time so we have to deal with what we've got.

But what the heck do I know. I'm just a bleeding heart sap.

What would happen at your company if you had to raise wages over 50%? No effect?

Mcdonalds in ohio makes $7.95-$9 per hr(per mcdonalds employment ad). To go to 15 an hour would almost DOUBLE the wages.

It would mean a lot more money right back into the system buying the products and services you sell. People at the bottom spend every dollar they make and save almost nothing.

It would mean a lot more money right back into the system buying the products and services you sell. People at the bottom spend every dollar they make and save almost nothing.
no, it would mean that thousands of small companies would have to increase the cost of their products to cover those new expenses, so the income gained would at the same time, be lost to increased prices. Called inflation. Costs are passed on to the consumer.

That would not happen to all of them,,,,some of them would go down in income, because their job would not exist anymore due to companies shutting down. I read in an earlier post that FC thinks that should happen. If a company cannot make money because of this increase in costs,,, they should go out of business. That sure solves it. I know people that prefer the low wages, rather then no wages.

I also have opinions on some of these people who you claim "spend it all" You are correct, I have seen it. Down at the bar,,buying beer and cigs,,,lottery tickets,,the list goes on and on. I have sat at the bar and listened to the whining about how they can't pay their bills,,,then they buy another beer. I have seen, and hired people who whine they can not pay their bills,,then have to fire them because they fail to show up every day at work. I offer a job,,,but require them to work. Not all people at the bottom are in this group, but a large percentage are.

The people with drive and ambition,, are just in the bottom group for a short time. Then they advance. The ones who stay there,,,are playing on your bleeding heart, so you will pay them, or give them, enough money and social programs so they are not required to work hard and advance. They make welfare a career. We now see 2nd and 3rd generation "welfare careers" Parents are showing their children how to do it.

I wont have to I pay a good wage now.
Mc Donalds profits might go down and all their employees receiving govt benefits would not need govt benefits anymore. and your Happy meal price will go up.
again I pay a living wage now, with retirement and healthcare.

look up Wal mart and Mcd's they have info on their websites for employees to apply for govt assistance. Think they might know they need to pay more???
how much profit do they need?? pay a living wage to your employees that make you able to live the way you do. if you cant you need to change your business model..

Reactions: jharkin
Thin about it, there are a LOT of people out there who dont have the skills or education for much more than basic manual labor. If we dont pay them a living wage are they going to be living in a cardboard box out in the street? Probably not, they will be living in govt subsidised housing and buying food with govt subsidized EBT cards and getting free health care at the ER because they cant pay the bill. All of which get paid for by the rest of us through taxes and insurance premiums.

A LOT of lazy people. Anyone can learn a skill or get an education. We already have those programs in place. If they do not work and do their part to get ahead,,,we should not give them increases in pay for that,,they will have to be satisfied with the crumbs since that is all they will work for.

They get all this free stuff because we give it to them! If it was not available,,,they would have to work for it!

But what the heck do I know. I'm just a bleeding heart sap.
I agree :p

no, it would mean that thousands of small companies would have to increase the cost of their products to cover those new expenses, so the income gained would at the same time, be lost to increased prices. Called inflation. Costs are passed on to the consumer.

That would not happen to all of them,,,,some of them would go down in income, because their job would not exist anymore due to companies shutting down. I read in an earlier post that FC thinks that should happen. If a company cannot make money because of this increase in costs,,, they should go out of business. That sure solves it. I know people that prefer the low wages, rather then no wages.

I also have opinions on some of these people who you claim "spend it all" You are correct, I have seen it. Down at the bar,,buying beer and cigs,,,lottery tickets,,the list goes on and on. I have sat at the bar and listened to the whining about how they can't pay their bills,,,then they buy another beer. I have seen, and hired people who whine they can not pay their bills,,then have to fire them because they fail to show up every day at work. I offer a job,,,but require them to work. Not all people at the bottom are in this group, but a large percentage are.

The people with drive and ambition,, are just in the bottom group for a short time. Then they advance. The ones who stay there,,,are playing on your bleeding heart, so you will pay them, or give them, enough money and social programs so they are not required to work hard and advance. They make welfare a career. We now see 2nd and 3rd generation "welfare careers" Parents are showing their children how to do it.

1) most small companies are paying better than mega corps

2) some jobs may be lost and prices may increase slightly.

3) if they are sitting at the bar with you, its not about the money now is it?? if they are useless you are going to fire them no matter what the wage.

4) people with ambition need to be able to live for a year to move up, playing on my heart......their fired!

5) welfare careers, you can pay 50 dollar minimum wage they are still going to be welfare recipients.

again I pay a living wage now, with retirement and healthcare.
you are missing the point. I'm glad you pay good wages for good skills. Everyone is not in the same industry as you, and cannot pay those high wages.

There are companies that would have to double the wages to meet $15. What if you had to? Just pretend,,,,,You are telling me it would not effect your company?

A LOT of lazy people. Anyone can learn a skill or get an education. We already have those programs in place. If they do not work and do their part to get ahead,,,we should not give them increases in pay for that,,they will have to be satisfied with the crumbs since that is all they will work for.

They get all this free stuff because we give it to them! If it was not available,,,they would have to work for it!

I agree :p

if you paid a living wage they would not be eligible for the free stuff.......

1) most small companies are paying better than mega corps
ok, I give up on you,,,you have no idea what wages are out here.

you are missing the point. I'm glad you pay good wages for good skills. Everyone is not in the same industry as you, and cannot pay those high wages.

There are companies that would have to double the wages to meet $15. What if you had to? Just pretend,,,,,You are telling me it would not effect your company?

most of these companies are mega corps that know how to control the system and buy the votes to keep it the way they want it/.

Who is the job creator. The pimp or the john?
Neither, The pimp is the middle man,the john is the end user or customer. Must be the hooker. Shes got the raw materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.