John Deere Pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sorem

Aug 1, 2023
Montana
I have a john deere Pellet stove…I think the electrical control unit is bad, wondering of I can use a St Croix Vera OEM as part are no longer availible

IMG_0668.png IMG_0669.png

JD pellet stove is the same basic unit as St Croix Prescott, so yep, module works as a replacement.

Curious what you think is wrong with your current module?

Reactions: Ssyko
Off/on green light keeps blinking and then red thermal light went on and stoped dropping Pellets…cleared pellets, dropped motor and agar cleared but lights never stop even after 8 hrs. Had the whole stove cleaned. Have someone coming out 🤞🏽this week (third person)but last time it ran for maybe 5 mins then made a weird sound like fan going off ( but fan was still running) Not sure what is going on….just trying to figure it all out. Have owned house for 3 years but over all the stove seems in great condition…but have always had a small problem will pellets getting jammed…this year the lights just never go off and the last run stopped dropping pellets.

Does the fire start after pellets are dropped? If not then the igniter is probably bad or air flow is not going through it properly.

If it lights but fire does out and never feeds pellets again it's more than likely the Proof Of Fire snap disk is not activating because it's bad or there is an ash issue near it. This is why the #3 red LED is flashing. The POF disk is the the two wire device mounted on the exhaust housing and much less expensive to replace than a control module.

Reactions: sorem
Does the fire start after pellets are dropped? If not then the igniter is probably bad or air flow is not going through it properly.

If it lights but fire does out and never feeds pellets again it's more than likely the Proof Of Fire snap disk is not activating because it's bad or there is an ash issue near it. This is why the #3 red LED is flashing. The POF disk is the the two wire device mounted on the exhaust housing and much less expensive to replace than a control module.
Lights, then burns ok but green light NEVER went out, last burn was less than 5 mins weird sound no more pellets dropped and went out with red and green light flashing and never went out. I always wait to unplug until fan stops,usually about 1 hr.
where is the POF snap disk located?

I'd recommend trying the Leaf Blower Trick on this stove before doing anything else. Look it up on youtube for examples of how to clean out fly ash. St Croix units are sensitive to getting clogged up.

I'd recommend trying the Leaf Blower Trick on this stove before doing anything else. Look it up on youtube for examples of how to clean out fly ash. St Croix units are sensitive to getting clogged up.
I had the chimney sweep out and he cleaned everything…said all was very very clean…..dont have a leaf blower but will see if anyone has one I can borrow…we are an hour from any city, small town Lincoln MT

Bottom center of picture.

View attachment 314256
Thank you…hopefully the retired stove repair guy coming out will be able to fix it with all this great information. Honestly at my age (76) I cant even move the 300 lb stove to get at it
you have been most helpful ..will let you know how it turns out ❣️Been trying to get this fixed since mid april, just getting people out is a chore.

The other thing to think about is lubing the upper and lower auger bushings with oil. If the auger motor is struggling to turn auger screw, the pellets fed might be insufficient to get initial fire hot enough to trip the proof of fire snap disk. If you reach into hopper and can move auger back and forth with your fingers a small amount (when not running), the bushings should be good for now.

The other thing to think about is lubing the upper and lower auger bushings with oil. If the auger motor is struggling to turn auger screw, the pellets fed might be insufficient to get initial fire hot enough to trip the proof of fire snap disk. If you reach into hopper and can move auger back and forth with your fingers a small amount (when not running), the bushings should be good for now.
I heard from the old repair guy and he cant get out before we leave so looks like it will be next April before we get to it….leaving a week
Thanks again