Jonsered 455 Oiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpma

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2014
W. Mass
Need help from the Jonsered experts. First off nobody in my area services these saws any longer. Everyone here is Stihl, and Husqvarna.

Cutting out back and notice the oiler on my older 455 stopped oiling. Layed a piece of cardboard down and held throttle wide open and sure enough not a drop of oil on the cardboard.

Was able to get the gear out from the bottom side of the saw. The gear is pretty worn out. My question is what other gear/mechanism does this gear work in conjunction with to oil the bar? And how do I remove that item from the saw?

Also where can I purchase Jonsered parts online? They seem very hard to come by since Jonsered allowed Tractor Supply to sell the line of saws. Tried my local TSC and they are useless as $IT@ on a bull when it comes to the integrity of older saws and how they function :(

Attachments

• jonsered.JPG
    jonsered.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 434
hmmmmm, i've never ordered online, but maybe give discountonlineparts.com or lilredbarn.com, or ereplacementparts.com a looksie......i wonder if you could take a dremel to it and rework the ''fins''(?) or deepen the grooves.....but i'm a cheapskate.....and am on the opposite end of expert......does the pma in your name refer to the song of the same name?

Lots of Jonsered parts are actually Husqvarna parts, so your Husqvarna dealer might be able to get parts for you if you don't want to order online. The dealer might even have in stock an Husqvarna part that's cross referenced to the Jonsered 455.

If you don't get a good answer, post your question in the AS chainsaw forum. There are Jonsered gurus there.

Last edited:
Lots of Jonsered parts are actually Husqvarna parts, so your Husqvarna dealer might be able to get parts for you if you don't want to order online. The dealer might even have in stock an Husqvarna part that's cross referenced to the Jonsered 455.

If you don't get a good answer, post your question in the AS chainsaw forum. There are Jonsered gurus there.
that is good to know......i thought only the newer models were interchangeable , cuz i have a neighbor's jonsered 450 that could use some parts, and always assumed the tool was ancient....but that could be because of the way the tool was treated.....for instance, last winter my neighbor couldn't get it started,so he sprayed half a can of starter fluid (directly into carb)....when that didn't work, he gently picked it up, swung it around like a discus thrower and let it go, flying through the air, landing, bouncing and tumbling on the frozen ground......i was speechless..... since then he has brought it to a repair shop 3 times........again, speechless

Yeah, it's also my understanding that newer models are equivalent under the cover.

I have no specific knowledge regarding the Jonsered 455, and I don't expect all parts to be in common with another Husqvarna saw, but sometimes there are surprises as to what parts a saw has in common with another.

Yeah, it's also my understanding that newer models are equivalent under the cover.

I have no specific knowledge regarding the Jonsered 455, and I don't expect all parts to be in common with another Husqvarna saw, but sometimes there are surprises as to what parts a saw has in common with another.
it is like that with a lot of these pneumatic nailers we repair.....different brands have interchangeable parts(and some are made by same mfg.) but the part #'s are way different.....

Reactions: TreePointer
Went to my local Husqvarna dealer and he kindly asked me to leave with the saw......doesn't service them and has no clue about interchangeable parts :( only wants to service what he sells!!

I will check out chainsawr Thanks!!

That's too bad. I have a couple good shops in my area that will look at just about any saw. One of them happens to be a Jonsered dealer, lol! Unfortunately not every town has one.

That's too bad. I have a couple good shops in my area that will look at just about any saw. One of them happens to be a Jonsered dealer, lol! Unfortunately not every town has one.
no, they don't......it may be the shop,or the saw is beyond repair, but like i said before, my neighbor has brought the same saw to the same shop 4 times within the last year......i'm sure throwing it didn't help, but,i would think of going somewhere else for a second opinion.....could have bought a new saw by now....or a couple of used

no, they don't......it may be the shop,or the saw is beyond repair, but like i said before, my neighbor has brought the same saw to the same shop 4 times within the last year......i'm sure throwing it didn't help, but,i would think of going somewhere else for a second opinion.....could have bought a new saw by now....or a couple of used

I was referring to individual OPE shops in my area. One of the local shops is a Jonsered/Dolmar/Efco/Timberwolf (and I can't remember what else) dealer. He's a chainsaw junkie. He and another shop in my area will take a look at just about anything with a small engine.

Part of it is the "farmer's mentality" that (fortunately) is still in many people here. Usually of necessity, the typical farmer could find a way to fix just about anything, regardless of brand.

yup, i was lucky to move to an area of town that is mostly farmland.....it's like the rest of the town is all modern-ized and hectic, and nasty,and ya pull off onto ye ole main rd. by the river and it's all farmland and older houses with horses and sheep, and goats, and people selling fresh veggies on a table in the yard with a scale and a money bucket still going by the honor system....it is almost like this one area of town refused to change....it's wonderful.....( i've gotten used to the large equipment heading out to the fields at 3 & 4 in the a.m.......oh, and the ''crowbombs'' too )

Reactions: TreePointer
Found the parts online thanks guys. This is a one shot fix by the sounds of it. It these gears strip again then it's game over for the saw according to the gentleman I spoke with. FYI he tried to sell me an Echo....he said they are the only ones offering 5 years parts/labor

Found the parts online thanks guys. This is a one shot fix by the sounds of it. It these gears strip again then it's game over for the saw according to the gentleman I spoke with. FYI he tried to sell me an Echo....he said they are the only ones offering 5 years parts/labor
....i would do further research on any 5 year warranty.....the air tools we sell here with those long warranties always have FINE PRINT with lots of ''stipulations''......

Status
Not open for further replies.