Jotul 118 Overnight Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
Okay, I'm sure most think I'm crazy to believe that I should or could get 8+ hours from the 70's model 118. BUT...I'm pretty close now and I figured some knowledge from you all would push me over the edge and I could be all the better fire tender.

So, now I'm running the stove around 450-600f. When I begin to go to bed I'm putting two larger splits in and a few small rounds along with a small squares to burn off quickly. I load it up and the small squares take off immediately and if the box is still in the 5-600f I shut the door and cut the air way down. I give it 10-15 minutes and check the stove to see where I'm hovering and what my flue temp is too (gives me a really good indication of whether I'm burning too fast or not). After 6-7 hours in bed, I come down to a stove that is around 120f. I open the door and everything looks dark except in the back of the stove where I see a little glow. When I rake everything forward I find that there is usually a very small piece of wood that after having turned up the coals lights instantly. I'm able to put a few small squares on the fire and some medium splits and everything takes off without a hitch.

Is this considered an overnight burn? I 'want' my stove to remain hotter than that over the period and hold to about 300f; am I out of my mind? If by some chance I'm not, can anyone tell me how to handle this with the Jotul 118? :D

Sounds like you are making good progress. Longer burn times might be achievable with very dense wood like oak or locust. I don't think you will wake up to a 300F stove of this size unless you feed it at 3am.

I believe I am indeed making good progress. It's amazing how easy this stove is to run (after reading a lot of info here). I was wondering if I had better wood what kind of difference that would make. Next year, I should know. :)

I shudder to think how I would've run the stove without having looked here first. I wouldn't have had any thermometers, I would have had my flue as hot as I had the stove, and I never would have gotten the heat out of it that it was capable of. Whew...thanks for bailing me out all! :D

So, I guess I'm doing okay waking up to a 120f stove that lights very easily? That's good to hear.

That stove was an exceptional blessing and gift. It's good to see that you are eagerly learning about it. Take good care of it and it will heat well for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.