Jotul 118 Reburn "pipes"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SimonJ

Feb 16, 2022
UK
Hello - new to the forum, so apologies if this has already been discussed - or if I have posted in the wrong section! I am about to buy a Jotul 118 - but there appears to be two pipes coming out of the left hand side of the reburn unit? I havent seen any other Jotul 118 pics with these pipes - and wondering if anyone knew what they were (maybe they were added at some point and have been cut into the side). many thanks - and appreciate any help.

Pictures would help. Someone might have modified it for some sort of water jacket. Is this the original style 118 with no door window?

7325EB01-FA51-4B5E-A985-3DDFC62C5B94.jpeg
Thanks so much for replying . Here are a couple of photos. I’m just concerned that it may be beyond use if someone has modified it. Thanks again, appreciate the time you’ve taken to respond 8F076222-95C1-43F2-A399-DAD57A684149.jpeg

It looks like someone added a water jacket. You can tell by lifting off the top lid and seeing what is inside. I would guess it is just a loop of pipe. The primary safety concern would be air or smoke leakage, especially if the pipe has corroded badly inside the stove.

As for serviceability, how does the stove look inside? Are the baffle and side burn plates in good condition? Is the stove crack-free? If so and if the pipes are in good shape, then it may still be operational. At this age and condition, it should have a rebuild which is not very hard, wire-brushed down to clean off the rust, and given a fresh coat of paint. Stove Brite metallic black looks good on these stoves. The piping may be removable and plugs fashioned for the hole out of non-combustible materials. Or perhaps just find a parts stove to combine and make one good stove?

It looks like someone added a water jacket. You can tell by lifting off the top lid and seeing what is inside. I would guess it is just a loop of pipe. The primary safety concern would be air or smoke leakage, especially if the pipe has corroded badly inside the stove.

As for serviceability, how does the stove look inside? Are the baffle and side burn plates in good condition? Is the stove crack-free? If so and if the pipes are in good shape, then it may still be operational. At this age and condition, it should have a rebuild which is not very hard, wire-brushed down to clean off the rust, and given a fresh coat of paint. Stove Brite metallic black looks good on these stoves. The piping may be removable and plugs fashioned for the hole out of non-combustible materials. Or perhaps just find a parts stove to combine and make one good stove?
Thanks so much, that is really helpful advice.

I’m going to see the stove on Saturday so I’ll check it all over and see what’s what.

I’ll post an update on Saturday.

Thank you again, really appreciate your response

In good operating condition, it's a capable heater. Worth about $200 as is or less if there are any cracks or if the side burn plates and baffle have to be replaced. Look around the flue collar for any cracks. These go for about $800 in good condition and sell for $1200+ in excellent condition if enameled.

Reactions: SimonJ
Finally got around to posting some pictures of my refurb efforts - found a replacement side panel on reburn to replace the water pipe one. It was an enamel one so had to sandblast it back. Took everything else apart and cleaned / repainted / new seal rope and cement. Waiting to install it now - and onto my next project - the No 1 which I couldnt resist (although I have nowhere to use it) !

fire1.jpg fire2.jpg fire3.jpg

Looks good. Did the door not get painted or is it painted a different color?