Jotul 3cb v.s Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linesider

Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Southern CT
Anyone have experience with both these stoves. I have the 3CB and Love it, but I am looking for some more heat and longer burn time. I may have enough room for the Castine, but not sure if I can't justify it, looking at the numbers on the Jotul website. Is there a big difference in the heating ability? Worth it or not? I don't think I could see the 3cb go, too attached, but thats another issue.

I don't think I have the room for the F500, although, thats my dream stove.

I had both stoves, one after the other. Went from 1 cu ft, to 1.5 cu ft, to 3 cu ft. in that order.

The 3CB is a respectable little heater, so is the F400. The difference is in the frequency of feeding the stove to maintain heat. The 3CB can provide maybe 2 hrs of good heat after which it is time to refeed if you want to maintain say a 600 degree stove top temp. The stove will hold hot coals for maybe 4-6 hrs, it's not putting out a lot of heat. The F400 can hold a hot top for about 3-4 hrs. and will have hot coals to about the 6-8 hr mark. And so on up the scale up to the F500 and F600. Basically it's about fuel capacity. A bigger stove can heat longer between refills because it has more fuel.

[/quote]The 3CB is a respectable little heater, so is the F400. The difference is in the frequency of feeding the stove to maintain heat. The 3CB can provide maybe 2 hrs of good heat after which it is time to refeed if you want to maintain say a 600 degree stove top temp. The stove will hold hot coals for maybe 4-6 hrs, it's not putting out a lot of heat. The F400 can hold a hot top for about 3-4 hrs. and will have hot coals to about the 6-8 hr mark. And so on up the scale up to the F500 and F600. Basically it's about fuel capacity. A bigger stove can heat longer between refills because it has more fuel.[/quote]

So based on this, I'd be seeing more convinence as opposed to heat output based on my investment?

The 3CB is a respectable little heater, so is the F400. The difference is in the frequency of feeding the stove to maintain heat. The 3CB can provide maybe 2 hrs of good heat after which it is time to refeed if you want to maintain say a 600 degree stove top temp. The stove will hold hot coals for maybe 4-6 hrs, it's not putting out a lot of heat. The F400 can hold a hot top for about 3-4 hrs. and will have hot coals to about the 6-8 hr mark. And so on up the scale up to the F500 and F600. Basically it's about fuel capacity. A bigger stove can heat longer between refills because it has more fuel.[/quote]

So based on this, I'd be seeing more convinence as opposed to heat output based on my investment?[/quote]
With a larger firebox, you can make the same amount of heat for longer, or more heat for the same amount of time, or somewhere in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.