Jotul 450 Kennebec - Clearance to Furniture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hatrick said:
I did actually look at the Hampton HI300 but I don't have the hearth depth because the firebox sticks out so far. I also looked at the HI200 but that tiny firebox looks too small for my liking.

I just checked out the Hampton specs and they have only an 11" from unit to adjacent wall spec. Where did you get the 26" spec.

It does seem odd that the HI300 only requires 11" while the Jotul is calling for so much more (after doing the math, it is approx. 29.75" from the edge of the firebox to the adjacent wall).

11 inches equals 28 centimeters, which is pretty close to your 29.75 calculation. I have a feeling that something got lost in translation when the English version of the Jotul installation manual was printed--they said inches but they really meant cm. We almost bought a 550 earlier this week, but then we noticed that the clearance zone was so far out of whack. If I had a 550 and followed their clearance zone, I wouldn't be able to have furniture in half of my living room! And I didn't want to risk a hassle with my insurer in case there was a problem, since the manual clearly calls out that enormous clearance zone.

We opted for Lopi Declaration instead, which specifies 9 inches clearance on the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.