Jotul 500 & Jotul 50 Rangely

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug

Jan 11, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Getting closer to choosing a stove and Jotul 500 is a forerunner tied with Jotul 50 Rangely. The Rangely seems to be better set up for cooking than the 500 but the 500 has larger doors and a side door. Have any of you Jotul 500 owners done much cooking on your stove? I want to be able to cook, heat water, etc as one of the reasons why I am going to a wood burner again. THANKS

I haven't cooked on my Oslo, but I plan to. Have just had it for 2 months.
I am running that top at 400 to 600 degrees so I can't see why you couldn't cook on it. I can smell the chili already. It is a big stove top.

Reactions: Burnmeister
The Oslo needs larger clearances due to its radiant nature, especially on the left door side. Will the stove be going against a wall or in a corner?

I've cooked a few steaks in a cast iron pan on the coals . . . good steaks, wicked hot frying pan.

Tried it . . . and honestly for me it's easier to just use the propane gas stove to do the cooking . . . with or without power.

I've only had my Oslo for a month and a half, but I would like to try a crock of chili at some point. I'm still tweaking and learning to get long burn times.

I tied baking potatoes. They were blackened hockey pucks. We use the wood stove for heat and the stove for cooking.

Reactions: weatherguy
I had a Rangely for a bit and tried chicken once in the Wintergrill basket. It came out okay, but I didn't really like grease dripping in my stove and I didn't do it again.

I don't plan on cooking inside the stove, too much of a hassle. But the top is the perfect place to cook chili. Have that pot simmering for several hours on a snowy winter day, what could be better.
Now, I have to hand it to my mom, she had a one week power outage down in north Georgia. She cooked all her meals on her 1988 VC Resolute.
Bacon and eggs, hamburgers, and even had a coffee pot brewing.

I loved my original Rangeley so when we sold our house and built new it was an easy choice to get another. That said we use it to cook all the time. Mostly utilizing the wintergrill but the cooktop on occasion as well. Cooking inside takes a bit of forethought in regards to what stage your fuel is in but once you've done it a few times its pretty fun. Any drippings inside will burn off during a hot fire i've found.

Reactions: jotulguy
I tied baking potatoes. They were blackened hockey pucks. We use the wood stove for heat and the stove for cooking.
We had good luck with baked potatoes by wrapping them in foil, moving most of the coals to one side and placing the taters on the other side. They cooked up pretty quickly.
I did burn my first in-stove pizza crust though. A 750F stone means you need to rotate the pie frequently and stay right on top of it. I figured maybe 3 minutes total. Should have cut that in half. Next time I will let the coals burn down more and will place the stone on two bricks on edge instead of placing it directly on the coals.

Just brewed some coffee and tea on ours just seems easier to fire up the grill.

My son and his wife (who is a chef) cook on their F500 frequently.

I cook in the rangely a fair bit... The winter grill cooks some good food... Saved some apple branchs and what i had left of cherry for it... Cooked some very tender round deer steaks the other day... Wife couldnt believe deer was that juciy and tender. I dont normally cook on the top but i do boil 3 gallons of water out of the pot on top a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.