Jotul 550 install, insulated liner or not???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkofler

Burning Hunk
Nov 15, 2011
Long Island
I asked the dealer and he said he typically does not do insulated liners, said they often rip when pulling them through. Is he just being lazy? Should I insist on insulated? My chimney is on an outside wall, home is a ranch so only 15 feet or so. Does the height play a factor on insulating or not?
Thanks for any feedback, I think I know what the answer is going to be! Would love to hear from other 550 owners, is your liner insulated or not?

Short answer, Yes! If you chimney is too tight for an insulated liner, you always have the option to pour in insulation.

My 550 has an inside chimney so I decided not to insulate it. The stones of the chimney gets hot at 135 near the lintel and80+ mnear the ceiling I look at this as a huge heat synch sort of like a Scandahovian stove. Each application is different. If I had an outside chimney I would probably insulate it.

I say insulate if you can afford it. You'll have a better running stove, hands down.

Quicker heating of liner, faster startups, less creosote.

Decided to climb up today to measure clay tile, they measure 11 inches by 7 inches. So I am thinking insulation might be kind of tight, just one inch to spare. Is pouring insulation going to be the only/best option? Sorry for the dumb question here, but when pouring insulation from the top, what catches it on the bottom? Roxul? Thanks for any guidance. I plan to ask my dealer prior to install, thinking I will get better answers here though!!

li_jotul550 said:
Decided to climb up today to measure clay tile, they measure 11 inches by 7 inches. So I am thinking insulation might be kind of tight, just one inch to spare. Is pouring insulation going to be the only/best option? Sorry for the dumb question here, but when pouring insulation from the top, what catches it on the bottom? Roxul? Thanks for any guidance. I plan to ask my dealer prior to install, thinking I will get better answers here though!!

Yes to Roxul holding the poured in back. My installer stuffed the first clay tile with Roxul and held it there while the other poured in the insulation from the top. They waited 15 minutes for it to set, then poured in the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.