Jotul 600 firelight question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuschLover

Nov 13, 2006
My stove was installed September 29th of this year. I was looking through the manual and it states that the top oval plate is held on by two screws for shipping purposes. Once installed the two screws should be removed. This makes it accessable for the cleaning of the chimney. The installers did not remove the screws. My question is this.. what keeps it sealed? I see in the parts breakdown that it has a gasket under it and I estimate the oval plates weight to be around ten lbs. based on the thickness stated in the parts breakdown. Is the weight adequate to seal this? Seem odd that you latch the side door and the front doors but the top plate sits loosley on top. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Top loading stoves like VC, Quadrafire and Harman seal the top plate by gravity, so there is a precedent.

That information is off Jotul's website which matches my owners manual. The manual also says you can remove the two plates above the secondary burn pipes along with the insulation to have access to the crud that will come out of your pipe from pushing the brush through.

Status
Not open for further replies.