Jotul 602 installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I'm interested in installing a 602 in my 1,200 sq ft home. I would like it to go in an alcove that is 43" wide and 24" deep. I read in the manual online that with wall protection this would be fine. However, our ceiling is only 84" tall and it says that we need a minimum of 71" off the top of the stove (which would require a 96" tall ceiling and the stove directly on the floor). In the manual for the F 100 Nordic QT it mentions that you can use ceiling protection and it brings that stoves minimum height from the top of the stove from 60" down to 48", can I use ceiling protection on the 602 and have it safely be installed with an 84" tall ceiling?

My wife and I both really like the 602 more than the 100, so we're hoping we can make this work.

The 602 is a tad small for your heating needs....and your burn times will only be 4-6 hours. Just another point to consider.

jotulguy said:
The 602 is a tad small for your heating needs....and your burn times will only be 4-6 hours. Just another point to consider.

It's only for supplementing our oil heat and backup should the power go out (just enough heat to keep us from freezing). Should be fine for us. It would be downstairs which is only 600sq ft. Plus we really don't have space for a larger unit anyway.

There is a shorter leg option that you can get with the 602. I've seen it at my dealer. They could have used legs off anothe Jotul, but I don't know for sure.

Found this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8358/#97134

I have a 602CB, and I LOVE it. It is a perfect size for my 1000 sq ft home, it heats up fast and burns clean. If I pack it with hardwood, there will be hot coals 7 hours later for a morning restart.

xman_di said:
There is a shorter leg option that you can get with the 602. I've seen it at my dealer. They could have used legs off anothe Jotul, but I don't know for sure.

Found this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8358/#97134

I have a 602CB, and I LOVE it. It is a perfect size for my 1000 sq ft home, it heats up fast and burns clean. If I pack it with hardwood, there will be hot coals 7 hours later for a morning restart.

Good to hear. Maybe a short leg combo and ceiling protection would be ok. I have a stove shop that is contacting their Jotul tech to find out about the ceiling protection.

If you check the manual for the 602 again, you should see a footnote for NFPA wall shield ceiling clearance reduction. Get approval from the inspecting authority first, but I think you'll be fine with a ventilated shield above the stove. Be sure to show them this clause.

Attachments

• jotul 602 ceiling.jpg
    jotul 602 ceiling.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 328
BeGreen said:
If you check the manual for the 602 again, you should see a footnote for NFPA wall shield ceiling clearance reduction. Get approval from the inspecting authority first, but I think you'll be fine with a ventilated shield above the stove. Be sure to show them this clause.

Thank you friend. It seems I had missed that. I had read the NFPA ceiling clearance reductions earlier, but didn't know if they didn't count since Jotul hadn't mentioned them.

The clearances work like this: if you use ceiling protection of 24 gauge sheet metal, 1 inch from the ceiling on non-combustible spacers, then you can cut your minimum clearance by 50%. That means that instead of 71", it would be 35.5". The stove is 25" tall, and it could be sitting on as much as a 4" thick pad depending on how I do my install. My ceiling is 84" tall, subtract 29" and that means I have an air gap of 55". Well above the minimum 35.5". So I will need ceiling protection, and since it is in an alcove it will need side and rear protection as well - BUT - the install should be totally safe and respectable. I will have our local codes enforcer double check before we purchase anything.

An NFPA wall shield reduces clearances by 66% if I have the code correct. You are plenty safe. Enjoy that little stove. It's a nice one.

Danke, I wasn't sure on that one and was too lazy to look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.