Jotul 602 standard - mod air intake for building regs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

euan

Sep 20, 2020
Scotland
Hi, I am near completion on my self-build house. Looking at stoves and always loved the old style Jotul's so it was really great that my partners father had one in his shed and she findly remembers this one keeping her house warm growing up. An added bonus may be financial in that a new up to date Jotul retails around £1000 from what I can see. Of course this old stove will need some TLC, defiantly new plates, but I have not had a good look yet. Before I launch in my main concern is complying with Scottish building regs, see following as some advice from the "stove guy" my builder uses - "

The external air requirement: If the house is ‘air-tite’, if the appliance is rated over 6kW or if the stove is in a room which contains mechanical extraction (open plan to the kitchen for instance); you would require external air. This could be ducted directly onto the stove in most cases. If air tightness isn’t an issue you can have a vent in the floor or wall. These are Scottish Building Regs. If the stove installer is HETAS registered, any build since 2008 should have direct air."

My house is not passive air-tite but pretty close, the Jotul from what I can see is 6kw, the room is open with kitchen, so I am running with the assertion that external air is needed.

This old jotul does not have an air intake. As mentioned it has some sentimental value and would save me some money. My question - anyone ever had a go at retrofitting an external air port? IN principle seems straight forward - drill hole add pipe, but I am sure there is no doubt some considerations in making sure the stove operates correctly, is safe, and compliant to regs.

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3335.jpg
    IMG_3335.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 196
Of note - the stove will be for comfort heat, the house has under floor heating powered by an air source heat pump

Can you have an installer come out and give you a recommendation? I've never seen or heard of any way to hook up outside air to a 602 since the primary air is located on the loading door. Maybe you can get by with an outside air supply ventilator through your wall near the stove?

Of note - the stove will be for comfort heat, the house has under floor heating powered by an air source heat pump

It irritates me to no end that other countries have access to heat pump water heaters but Americans don’t. We only can get dedicated low output tank heat pump water heaters for domestic water..

The original F602 does not have any option for an outside air supply. The best that can be done is to have an outside air vent located near the spinwheel intake.