Jotul 602CB door gasket trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RockCastile

Nov 9, 2015
Blue Ridge of Va.
After noticing several loose spots with the dollar bill test, i just tried for the first time to replace the door gasket on my 3 yr old f 602cb....and failed. Thought I was following instructions--manual says door requires 36 inches of 1/4 inch gasket, which i ordered online, Perkins red devil, silver grey color (no 1/4 inch avail at local hardware), thoroughly cleaned groove, measured rope out exactly (which required a slight degree of bunching as I laid it down to make all 36 inches fit), thorough bead of gasket cement underneath, gasket even and neat (to my eye at least) all the way around, joined the ends snug midway down the hinge side, same as factory gasket. Set door back in and latched for 3 hours to dry. Now there is no spot anywhere around the door that will even slightly tug on a dollar bill with the latch all the way tight.
Any ideas where I went wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
The parts list in the manual calls for 8.7mm gasket which is .34" or a bit under 3/8" . Maybe try 5/16" gasket?

I see the mm size now in the parts list (instrux portion of manual says 1/4 inch). However, now that I've got the old original gasket and the 1/4 inch side by side, the old gasket looks way bigger than the 1/4 inch. I know you can fatten it up a bit by bunching it in kind of tight, but this looks like the original was at least 3/8, I could even believe 1/2.

Yes, I saw that in the manual instructions and think it's off. Maybe try 3/8" then. That's what I use on my old F602 door.