jotul c450 or hampton hi300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hvacar said:
Well my wood stove insert is not going to happen. Just had the company out here to look at my fireplace and the chimney, the flue is to small for the liner plus it is not straight. They recommend a pellet stove. Thanks everyone for the help.

If you really have your mind set on a wood stove, there may be other options. Do you have any other rooms where you could install a stove and run the pipe up? How tight is that flue? It may be that company wants to push pellet stoves because of inventory and repeat business for cleaning and pellets.

Pellet stoves are convenient, but pricey to operate and maintain. Do the research on this before investing in one. A little extra work is involved with wood, but it's all about the joy of doing it IMO.

Personally, I just can't find myself getting excited at loading pellets into a hopper and cracking a cold one to reward myself :smirk: I guess the old saying, different strokes for different folks apply here.

Well I hope to install my HI300 this weekend, but the rain may be a factor (liner install as well). I fired up the fireplace for one more go round. I had a pretty smart friend tell me to burn some soot remover which is supposed to help scale the soot and make it easier to clean. Doing that as we speak. Clean on Friday night, install on Saturday. As you can see from the picture, I need to raise the insert up 4". I still have my set backs, except for the one bracket support for the hearth. I guess I will have to remove it. Bruins open up tonight. Nice night to watch the game by the fire.

Attachments

• IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 245
That fireplace is going to be a distant memory pretty soon! I walked through the door tonight and wife looks at me with with puppy eyes. I asked why so sad, she says she's been cold all day. Ok, it's 62 in the house so I started a small fire to take the chill off. I take my daughter to soccer practice and I come home and it's 80 degrees. Not bad for two small splits and some wood scraps from splitting and a good size split once the kindling got going. Get ready for some heat to come out of that fireplace. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.