Jotul C550 Rockland Clearance Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tschwendler

Oct 1, 2011
NH
I'm looking to get a Jotul Rockland for my fireplace. It looks like this unit will just fit into my fireplace but I am just shy on the vertical clearance to combustible material. The manual says I need 51 3/4" to wood, and I have 51". To meet code, I would need to install a mantle deflector which is fine, but I have 2 boys that run through the house and I would be concerned with them cutting themselves on this, so I may want to remove it, at least during the summer.

My question is for those people who have this unit, would you be concerned about being 3/4 of an inch short on this vertical clearance? Also, if I have the get the unit installed with the deflector, how difficult is it to remove?

Thanks for all the help.

I dont have the deflector, but there are pictures of it on the forum, do a search. It doesnt look like it has any sharp edges. It seems very easy to take off, but the kids shouldnt be getting this close anyways, its not like it sits out a foot ot more.

On the code side, I dont think you are going to have a fire hazard. I always run with the blower on and very little if any heat goes straight up. With the blower off, which will be very rarely, hill will rise straight up the face. However, if you are going to get it inspected the inspector will probably say something. Its one of those CYA things. He will not want to ok the setup in the event something were to happen.

I wanted to be covered in the event something were to happen, which required the inspector coming to the house and notifying the insurance company. It also meant conform to all codes. In short, put the deflector on, and yes it can be rmoved easily in the summer.

Thanks for the info. I have seen the pictures. It was from them that I became concerned about the corners and kids.

Another question, how often are you cleaning your chimney. If you read the manual, they want you to clean your chimney out as much as once a month! Seems a bit overkill to me. Do you see a lot of creosote build up from this unit? I would think it would produce less creosote than a standard stove.

Thanks again for the help.

Sounds like you are new to wood burning so I will assume so. When i was younger, before EPA stoves, i would clean our chimney every 1-2 months and get giant clumps of creosote. The newer stoves burn much cleaner, and i currently clean once at the end of every burning season.

Every chimney is different, every wood supply is different

I have very good draft in my chimney. It is a 23' interior chimney and my stove tends to burn hotter because of it. If you have a short exterior chimney your draft may not be as good and you could accumulate more creosote. Im also assuming you are installing a full stainless liner, which anyone should do when installing an insert. That said, many people with 15' chimney's are burning clean.

The most important thing to a clean chimney, DRY WOOD. This is by far the most important factor. Burn wood with less than a 20% moisture content, which is nice and seasoned. I hope you already have wood for this season, or know someone who sells wood that you trust. Most dealers when they say seasoned it may have only been split for a couple months, usually still green.

If you already know that stuff, just monitor your chimney through the first season. Check it at the end of your first month, then keep that frequency going. I have a rain cap with screen to keep critters out. I usually keep an eye on that. If the screen stays clean, im fairly confident that the rest of the liner is as well.

I have been rambling, so this is all you need to know. The stove is absolutely capable of burning clean enough for a season, but i dont know your setup or wood supply.

I have mine professionally cleaned once a year. I don't see the insert producing any more or less than any other insert I've seen. But with all of that said it depends on what kind of wood and how dry it is. Wetter wood would be harder to burn and I'm not sure if it would produce more creosote - I think it would, and wood like pine would produce more creosote than a hardwood like oak. If you stick with seasoned hardwoord (maple, cherry, ash, oak, etc..) you shouldn't have a problem.

J

Great info, thanks!

I do have a good hardwood supply ready to go. It's mostly cherry and oak, with some maple, ash, and birch mixed in. Most has been under cover for 2 years, some I split this spring and under cover this summer. I'm going to burn that last. I've heated with a stove in the past, but not one of the newer EPA stoves. I do understand that these EPA stoves are pretty picky about their wood. I'm stacking wood this fall for next year's burning and I plan to stay ahead 2 years from now on.

I have a 20'+ interior chimney that is going to be lined with a 6" "flex" liner, so I would expect a good draw. That's a good tip about watching the cap and screen.

Thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.