Jotul Castine Cracked Glass - Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmac

Dec 10, 2005
Eastern PA
Hi folks...

I got careless tonight when loading the stove, and cracked the right pane of glass... this is an older (about 10 years) model of the Jotul Castine with the double doors instead of single doors. Really dumb mistake... have a nice cold snap going on, stove going at about 500F... but no use crying over spilled milk... anyhow...

Couple questions -

1. Any recommendations as to where to get replacement glass? The manual shows the parts with no part numbers, just a "call your dealer for help" note in the manual. I found a couple places online that say they have the glass for this model stove... do I need to be concerned if this is Jotul-supplied glass versus third party manufactured glass?

2. I guess I should replace the gasket too? The manual lists the gasket as 3/8" LD. What is "LD" (versus LD/SA for other gaskets)

3. Should I do both sides while I'm at it? I'm concerned that the new glass will look significantly clearer than the older, unbroken side... is this likely?

Thanks....

Bummer. LD is low density. Odds are that the dealer won't have one. Where are you located? Check locally at a glass shop to see if the have Robax or Neoceram, or Pyroceram ceramic glass.
Or try online, we've had good reports about these folks: www.onedayglass.com

BeGreen said:
Bummer. LD is low density. Odds are that the dealer won't have one. Where are you located? Check locally at a glass shop to see if the have Robax or Neoceram, or Pyroceram ceramic glass.

Allentown PA. I'm not optimistic about the dealer, who I'll call tomorrow for the heck of it. Two years ago I went back to them to get a replacement door handle; the guy helping me didn't know that there was an older double door version of the Castine (different handle than the current version), and wasn't real interested in contacting Jotul to try and order one. So I've kind of soured on them.

I'll check out the link, thanks...

BeGreen said:
....see if the have Robax or Neoceram, or Pyroceram ceramic glass.

Are all three of these ceramic glass types equally effective? One Day Glass carries at least two of them... does it matter for this application?

When i got my stove , I looked at the glass and said knowing me, ILL sure as cheet bust that at some point. So I ordered a new one from the dealer. Havnt broke it yet. As stated, check a local glass dealer, or call a Jotul dealer and see wha he says. Sorry about your bad luck

Hanko said:
When i got my stove , I looked at the glass and said knowing me, ILL sure as cheet bust that at some point. So I ordered a new one from the dealer. Havnt broke it yet. As stated, check a local glass dealer, or call a Jotul dealer and see wha he says. Sorry about your bad luck

In hindsight, I guess I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. I always assumed this stuff was like plexiglass and would take some amount of logs rolling and banging against it... which it did for almost ten years. I'll probably get a spare piece while I'm at it...

My Jotul has an IR coated glass which helps reflect heat back into the stove. Im not sure if yours being 10yrs old has the coating or not.

EJL923 said:
My Jotul has an IR coated glass which helps reflect heat back into the stove. Im not sure if yours being 10yrs old has the coating or not.

That's interesting... it seems that one WOULDN'T want heat reflected back INTO the stove; you'd think you'd want the head radiated out into the room?

I assume it is because its an insert. The heat is taken away from the stove with the blowers.

Just a followup to this which I meant to post earlier; I ended up getting the glass from Obadiah's Woodstoves (one of the sponsors here), not a custom glass supplier. They had the Jotul part number, was the cheapest out of three I could find online, service was great, had the glass within two days...

Good to know pmac. Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear it all worked out so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.