Jotul Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f700

Jan 8, 2008
New Hampshire
Well, just put my deposit on a Jotul Castine, but now I ay be having second thoughts thinking I should have got the Oslo. My only concern is the loading of the wood in the Castine. Any owners out there find it difficult to load. Does the wood fall out? My second thoughts relate to the side door on the Oslo and being able to load it that way, but I think the Oslo may be too big for the room it is going in. Opinions please.

my personal felling is if you can use the f400 the f500 will do just fine the oslo is a great choice dont think you can go wrong with it.

What happened to the insert of yesterday's decision? What made you decide on the Castine?

The F400 is easy to load and does take a little finesse to be sure it is loaded so that nothing will spill out. But you get better at it. Last year it happened to me twice. This year, not at all. I just don't put a round log on the top of the pile, especially towards the door.

As fas as stove size, I think that's already been asked and answered.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13577/

Well, after much deliberation.....it came down to many factors. 1. I like the look of the Castine. This was the one we like initially. 2. I didn't want to have to run a blower to get all the heat. 3. Probably the most important, I didn't like the fact that I wouldn't know what is going on between the insert and my ZC fireplace. I had concerns about this and they out weighed the insert idea. 4. My house is around 2,200 sq,.ft, the room the stove is going is is 24' x 24' and attached to the first floor through a five foot opening. I will be quite happy if I can keep my first floor warm, which it should.

I am only looking to cut down, not eliminate oil usage. If I can save half the amount of oil, I will be quite happy! Out of curiosity, what do you experience for burn times? If I load it at 11 PM will it make it to morning, with at least hot coals?

You will have no problem loading and keeping the splits from tumbling out. If you load 3 or 4 large splits at 11pm you will have coals at 7 am . I set the air about 1/3 open for overnight burns

Don't see anything in the manual about installing that stove through a ZC box. Have fun with your illegal installtion.

jtp10181 said:
Don't see anything in the manual about installing that stove through a ZC box. Have fun with your illegal installtion.

If you want to get technical with that there is not a legal instalation into any zc fireplace the code requiers the chimney to comform to a 2100 ht chimney which is imposible to obtain with any listed liner on the market as the ul 1777 listing is only good for a masonary chimney.the only way the install is legal is to have the chimney listed to a HT standard by the fireplace manufacturer which at this point i am unaware of any zc company listing there chimney to the HT standard including HHT

Okay, before everyone chimes in, I am running a class A chimmeney up in front of the ZC. The Stove is going only in front of it. I have triple checked my clearances before I did this. Plus feel it is safer to see all around the stove and the pipe versus an insert where I can't check on anything. Just to repeat, the stove is not going into the ZC,but 10 inches in front of it. I have the heat sheid, I am running double wall pipe to the class a, and everything behind the stove is non-flammable 20" + away. My dealer and several other dealers see no issue.

On last thing, I called Jotul direct and they had no issues either... I am not going to burn my house down for somethig stupid, I have gone through everything possible to ensure safety of my house.

Good call on the Class A. Sounds like you should be fine doing it that way. I thought you were going to go through the ZC like you were originally thinking in a different post. Basically your install will have nothing to do with the ZC unit at all, and will be a totally separate system. Are you going to board up the old unit? Might be cool to put fake brick over it or something to hide the whole thing.

Hi, I chimed in on your other post and can tell you it can be confusing to select a new stove. The F 400 is a fine stove and the btu rating isn't much less than the F 500. I heat 2100 sq. ft., 24/7 and it does a fantastic job. The advantage to the F 500 is the side loading door. If you can move some air from the stove room, I think the F 500 would work for you. The stove seems to run fine at 400* and the glass stays clean too. Hope this helps.

Jim

F400 - Installed in early december...

What part of NH?

I purchased an F400 and had it installed in early dec. It's installed in my masonary fireplace. I can easily heat the 1700SF first floor of my house. In fact I've used 1/4 of the oil I normally would so far since having it installed. Great stove.. also I've not had any issues with the glass getting cloudy on my F400. Burn dry wood (remember dry wood doesn't sizzle, pop or have water running out the end when your burning it) and you will love it. Make sure you get the ss liner it's worth the money and peace of mind.

You asked :

"I am only looking to cut down, not eliminate oil usage. If I can save half the amount of oil, I will be quite happy! Out of curiosity, what do you experience for burn times? If I load it at 11 PM will it make it to morning, with at least hot coals? "

I load mine about 11:30ish... and in the morning it's fricking cold !! no really it's usually red hot coals and typically just open up the door and air control, throw in some splits and close the door and it's back to burning. I have my downstairs oil heat zone set at 55. The lowest it has been was about 62 one morning and that was just a few weeks ago when it was -6 outside. Once you get the air heated up (in your house) it's actually quite easy to keep it there.

Feel free to private message me if you have specific questions.

Attachments

• stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 408
Installation underway, can't wait for it to be done now. Anyway, thought I would post this so others looking into this would have some more information. I got the Jotul Installation Manual from the dealer, this is not the one that comes with the stove, but a dealer install manual. Anyway, not to cause any trouble, but the Castine is approved to vent through a ZC fireplace, providing the chimney is relined to meet the proper UL spec. Also, the stove must be placed away from combustibles per the diagrams provided in the manual.

Take pictures F700, how's your wood supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.