jotul clearance to brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotulburner

Sep 9, 2010
maine
Any help with Clearance question would be appreciated.
I have a Jotul 3 tdic 2 it came installed in the 20 year old house I bought 2 years ago. We just put in hardwood floors and I tore out the old brick hearth pad that was crumbling and cracked. we laid hardwoods in place of it and I am now getting ready to build hearth pad.
I have read manual and it states 43 deep by 38 wide. I will make it a little deeper to go under pipe all the way to the wall. My question is the previous owner had it installed 8 inchs from the wall. State regs and NFPA tell that if it is a listed stove to follow manurfactures recomendations, but my jotul mannual only gives distance to combustable wall at 26 inches.
my wall is a free standing brick wall surrounding chimeny. the state of maine web site shows a clearance reduction table but it is confusing it states a 3 1/2 inch brick wall with ventilated air space can take a 66 % reduction in clearance. If I follow Jotul's clearance of 26 inch's 26 x .66 = 17.16. and 26 - 17.16 = 8.4 inchs. Thats if I use the Jotul clearance as a starting point but If I use state of main clearance for unlisted stoves 36 inchs is clearance for unlisted stoves 36 x .66 = 23.72 and 36 - 23.72 =12.28 inchs. I wish Jotul just included the proper placement from brick wall in there manual this whole thing about listed and unlisted stoves in my state regs has me confused. Did previous owner install it correctly with only 8 inch clearance from wall or not. I try to do things the right way and would appreciate any help I can get with this confusion. Thanks

All that matters is whether or not there is any combustible material inside or behind the brick wall. If there is none, then you can put the stove as close to it as you want to. If there is combustible material within or behind the brick wall, then it gets a bit more complicated. Nothing magic about brick, it's a great conductor of heat, thus no "proper clearance from brick wall". If the brick is fascia applied directly to a combustible wall, then the brick buys you very little allowable clearance reduction. If the brick is standing proud of a combustible wall with a ventilated airspace between the two, it buys you a bunch (the airspace does, not the brick). If there are no combustible materials involved, then you needn't worry about it. Rick

thanks for the help I cant see through the wall but it looks like the brick just wraps my chimney. I am looking through pipe that goes through brick I think they call it a thimble it is just over 4 inchs deep and then I am in the chimmney so it looks like just brick attached to my internal chmmney no room for any wood framing between brick and chimney.

If you're completely confident that there's nothing behind the stove other than solid masonry...nothing combustible...then there is no rear clearance requirement. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.