Jotul Combifire #4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlanR

Jan 4, 2020
New here and would like to thank everyone who takes the time to read this, and really thank those who respond.
The front axle on the door has been cut through from the opening and closing of the door. This is the axle that goes through the springs. It allows the door to roll back, but also maintains the level of the door for closing. Has any one ever taken the hinge mechanism apart ? Has anyone had the same experience and had to replace the 10 mm axle?

Just trying to figure out if it is able to be done. The stove is from 1976 and is still in great shape other than this. It is used everyday so I'll probably wait to tear it apart as long as the other side doesn't break.

Again, thanks,
Alan

Can you post some pics?
I tried to get some pics, but the location of the stove is too dark and tight for a decent shot. The base of the stove is only about 8 inches above floor level. The pic here is just the stove, not the problem area.

Attachments

• 0105201020[1].jpg
    0105201020[1].jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,245
I love the look of the Combis. Please see if you can get a pic. I'm sure we can figure out a way to change out that pin.

You may also want to add some more floor protection in front of the stove.

If the door works like the combi #1 it drops down under the stove on a spring-loaded hinge assembly which had two axles. Unfortunately, the Combifire 4 manual on Jotul's website is an impartial scan. It is lacking the parts diagram. Maybe contact Jotul and see if they can send you the complete manual or at least the parts diagram.

Thanks Begreen. I was also on their website and saw that. That is why I was hoping maybe someone has tried to fix this on their own. If the axle just slides through he hinge mech. it shouldn't be too hard other than having to take the entire bottom apart. I was hoping that just removing one bolt and swinging the track would give me the clearance I need to work on it. I just don't seem to bend in the right places anymore.
Alan

I just don't seem to bend in the right places anymore.
Alan
LOL, I hear you on that. Time to take some yoga classes I think.

Download the Combi #1 manual and see if the hinge assembly is similar. It looks like one axle may be spring-loaded and the other gear drive off the first axle. It may be easier to work on by laying the stove on its back. When working on solving the problem be careful. The system may be under tension.

Last edited:
I have the same problem, one of the springs (left) just broke, must be resoldered. No more tension on it but the one on the right is under tension. I downloaded manual of the CombiFire #4 and #1 and found nothing on exploded parts.
I need to remove the axle to repair it, but no idea how to remove it.
As Alan or others succeeded ? Any hint is more than welcomed.

Jerry

CombiFire#4_Door_Axle.jpg

Finally I found the trick. After removing the little piece between the two springs, one can access the locking mechanism. After removing the tension on the left spring (the one that was still good), the parts come apart easely. One can see the faulty spring with its piece that must be soldered (on the right), and the axle (at the left) that must be repaired.

Jerry

Locking__Detail.jpg Releasing__Tension.jpg Axle__Parts.jpg

The documentation of this repair is super helpful. It's a common failure with these old stoves. Will soldering be adequate or will it take something stronger like brazing or welding?