Jotul f-400 Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hyper2

Jan 6, 2017
West Babylon, NY
Hi everyone,

I am a new member here and look forward to what seems to be a wealth of info on the ins and outs of wood stoves and the "art" of using wood for a heat source.

I have recently acquired a Jotul f-400 Castine double door stove in very good condition. I noticed that there were no firebrick in the rear, though the schematic that accompanied the stove illustrates 3 vertical firebrick against the rear plate. My question is does the stove require the brick and if so do they just stand up in place on their own as there is no sort of retention bracket to hold them in place.

Thank you, Monty

Hi everyone,

I am a new member here and look forward to what seems to be a wealth of info on the ins and outs of wood stoves and the "art" of using wood for a heat source.

I have recently acquired a Jotul f-400 Castine double door stove in very good condition. I noticed that there were no firebrick in the rear, though the schematic that accompanied the stove illustrates 3 vertical firebrick against the rear plate. My question is does the stove require the brick and if so do they just stand up in place on their own as there is no sort of retention bracket to hold them in place.

Thank you, Monty
There should be firebrick behind the rear plate. They will not be exposed directly to the firebox. If you remove that rear plate, they will be free standing.

There should be firebrick behind the rear plate. They will not be exposed directly to the firebox. If you remove that rear plate, they will be free standing.
Thank you so much for your reply. I thought it strange that the back plate had a sort of sun burst design and the schematic actual lshowed the brick in front of back plate. Very deceiving! Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your reply. I thought it strange that the back plate had a sort of sun burst design and the schematic actual lshowed the brick in front of back plate. Very deceiving! Thanks again
No problem at all. Theoretically the bricks won't really ever need replacing. Even if they crack, they will be held together by the plate. Unless they start to crack in multiple places, I wouldn't worry about it.

Enjoy the stove!