Jotul F 400 Rear Flue Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David T

Sep 22, 2012
I want to install a wood stove but in my application I think a rear flue stove might look better for where it need to go. I was thinking of a Jotul F 400 and using the rear flue option.

I would then have to install a through the wall chimney with the tee being at the height of where the rear flue wood be coming through the wall. The chimney then would go up two stories on the side of the house near the peak.

So I would have a rear flue stove going into a metal chimney in a chase going up two stories. Anyone tried this approach. Any idea appreciated.

Thank You

David

I want to install a wood stove but in my application I think a rear flue stove might look better for where it need to go. I was thinking of a Jotul F 400 and using the rear flue option.

I would then have to install a through the wall chimney with the tee being at the height of where the rear flue wood be coming through the wall. The chimney then would go up two stories on the side of the house near the peak.

So I would have a rear flue stove going into a metal chimney in a chase going up two stories. Anyone tried this approach. Any idea appreciated.

Thank You

David

OK I will chime in here. The F400 Castine does not perform well with a rear vent option. The hearth company I used to work for stopped selling them at one point, because of this problem. We even had one in the showroom installed this way & we pulled it out. It back-puffed all the time, & the issue seemed to be caused by the front of the baffle being lower than the top of the load door. I doubt much has changed with the Castine's design, so I'd be wary of a rear exit install...YMMV...

A friend of mine has a Castine set as a hearth stove, rear exit. He has no problems with any kind of puffing or smoking. That's the first I've heard of this. It really does limit you in the future if you ever want to change stoves. We run into this every year, somebody needs to change out an old stove with an exit height that is really tough to match. Sometimes it can't be done without some pretty major changes! Not to mention most all stoves do better if you at least have 3' vertical before you exit through the wall.

Reactions: RockyMtnHigh
I agree with webby, I've installed quite a few Castine stoves as hearth mounts which worked well. IF the chimney is to be a permanent fixture try to make it 3' taller than the stove. If you do a rear vent and a permanent chimney install you will be stuck with Castine after Castine after Castine for the rest of your life unless you want to make major expensive construction and chimney changes. If you can do all the work yourself, this may not seem as much like an issue.....

I prefer if the rear vent option is ONLY used to vent into a fireplace where an insert won't fit or the customer insists on a hearth mount freestanding stove.

Our Castine was rear vented, then up 20 ft. in our install. This was due to the ceiling support location. The stove drafted fine below about 45F outdoors. Above that it would start to spill smoke. I had one serious backpuff, but truthfully this was my fault and part of the learning curve with the stove. I posted about the experience here, but it's too late for me to go look it up. gnite.

Status
Not open for further replies.