Jotul F 600 vs. Pacific Energy Alderlea T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Looking at possibly getting a bigger stove to heat the entire house. My current stove can not keep up when the temps drop to 10 to below zero. What are the pros and cons of these two stoves? Can I sweep the chimney from the inside of the stove without too much hassle? What about ease of use? I want a 8 to ten hour burn heating a 2100 sq. ft. Bi level home. Stove will be located in the finished basement with a open stairwell. Wood is oak and red elm. Some birch and cherry also. Thanks PE and Jotul owners!

Both will do the job though they are very different designs and construction. The F600 is a more radiant stove that will need larger clearances. It is primarily a side loader, loading E/W. The T6 is a PE steel stove at heart (firebox shared with the Summit) with a cast iron jacket. It's a front loader with close clearances that loads N/S or E/W and has a unique swinging trivet top.

Reactions: Squisher
The F600 is certainly a striking, pretty stove. You may be used to the side loading & want that feature.

As to cleaning chimney from bottom up, through the stove: The T6 is easy, as you just need to remove the baffle -- just pull a pin & tilt it out & clean the stove/chimney. As to the F600, I have no idea how hard it is to remove the tubes/baffle conglomerate.

The PE line is one of the most simplistic constructed stoves of the EPA's. Just take a look at the parts/exploded views of the 2 stoves. I would choose based on that, but YMMV. A totally enclosed welded steel firebox is, also, a super plus in my mind.

Good Luck -- they are both good stoves.

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I would need a heat shield with the Jotul. I like to sweep the chimney from inside the house and stove so that is a plus for the PE. Both have a lifetime warranty on the baffles so that us a plus also.