Jotul f-600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How close is the stove to the stairs? Do you have big doorways? Can you use the fan from your forced hot air? How well insulated is the attic? How drafty are the windows?

Probably, but post a floor plan with stove location for better answers.

If that big bad boy can't heat your house then no wood stove can. It is gonna get hot down stairs though.

I have the F-600 in the basement of a ranch house about that size, and it does the trick pretty darn good. I put one register in - in a bedroom at the opposite end of the house from the stairs and the stove. I mounted a fan under the register pointed down out of the bedroom pulling air into the basment. Heat rolls up the stairs and gets pulled across the house and will keep the whole place reasonable even on a good cold day. I could use another stove upstairs to top the place off on cold days when we are kicking around the house...really as much to look at as for heat... the F-600 is a beast, it will do the trick for you.

My F-500 does 1800 sf two level with no problem, I have a relatively open design though. I don't think you'll have any problem with the 600.

I concur . . . it would be better to see a picture (we're very visually oriented here), but just guessing I would say you will get heat to the upstairs bedroom . . . and plenty of heat downstairs. You can use fans to help move the heat . . . set them up to blow the air from the cool area towards the room with the stove and you'll set up a "river of warm and cool air." Chances are the room or rooms located furthest from the stove will be notably cooler, but honestly in my case that would be the master bedroom and I want it to be a bit cooler there for better sleeping (cooler, but not frigid . . . is the goal for me.)

I always suggest a stove with convection capabilities when trying to heat multiple levels from a basement. If your basement walls arent insulated they can tend to soak up a lot of radiant heat. Thats my 3 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.