Jotul F100 Rear venting, Other chimney questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

waywardsmile

Aug 18, 2011
Red Hook, NY
I'm looking at picking up a Jotul F100 and am interested in venting it out the rear to be able to use the top to heat water and cook on. I've heard varying opinions on how much 'smokeback' one might expect with this setup and am wondering if anyone has this setup?

The overall chimney setup is looking like:

Elbow out the rear, 4 feet up to another elbow into a T and thimble. Should I go double wall or single wall black pipe inside? I assume double wall will help it draft and reduce smokeback, right? Seems quite a bit pricier though and I think I need an adapter to attach to the stove.

out the wall via the T and thimble (installer recommends black stovepip right into the T, is this correct?)

24 feet straight up.

Also wondering about the fresh air kit option. The stove will be installed in a well insulated 300 sq ft space. Should I go with the fresh air kit, and how will this effect the smokeback?

thanks!

As far as the cooking on top goes, it is a waffle top stove with no cookplate. I have cooked soups and beans on it, but the size of the pan is limited. The outlet plate cover does sit a little higher than the surrounding top surface, so you would have difficulty getting and even heating surface. Maybe stop by a dealer and see what you think. Little pots put in the front corners are fine though.

I'll leave the venting questions to others. I ran mine in a 5.5" insulated flex liner up a brick interior chimney without issue. Good luck. It is a great little stove.

I don't have this kind of stove. Your flue/chimney seems to have a lot of 90 degree turns. I assume the diameter is constant from the stove collar to top of chimney. Sounds like you have about 30 feet from stove exit to top of chimney.

I wanted to have the flue exit from the rear of my stove so it was easy to inspect and clean. I was able to connect it directly to a tee and go vertical from there. Since my overall height to the top of the interior chimney is 16 foot, I was worried about the draft. So worried that I built a fire in June. It worked just fine with 70 degree outside temperature.

Seems to me rear exit through the wall directly into a relocated thimble and tee might look neat. With a 300 square foot well insulated space to heat, you will not likely need the contribution from the stove connector pipe. Double wall stove connector and double wall stainless chimney may be close in price.

I've got my Woodstock Keystone venting out the rear. It goes straight into the liner and turns up, so there's only 1 - 90 degree turn, works like a champ. What I'd do were you is try the rear vent knowing you can go to a vertical if necessary. Same with the outdoor air kit.

Good luck,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.