Jotul F118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paperman

Aug 13, 2010
east coast
Thanks for the advice on the previous post. This is a great web site. I did buy the Black Bear and when I put it together, it looked like it had had a nest of mice in the top of the stove. They messed up the insulation that covers the bottom of the upper section.

My question is, is this insulation important? And what does it do? It looks like it would just collect ash and dust. If it is important, should I have it replaced? Thanks in advance!

I've never been inside the top of a modern Black Bear. The insulation in most modern stoves serves to keep heat in the firebox longer and promote secondary combustion. I'd call the dealer to have new insulation shipped out to you.

Matt

paperman said:
Thanks for the advice on the previous post. This is a great web site. I did buy the Black Bear and when I put it together, it looked like it had had a nest of mice in the top of the stove. They messed up the insulation that covers the bottom of the upper section.

My question is, is this insulation important? And what does it do? It looks like it would just collect ash and dust. If it is important, should I have it replaced? Thanks in advance!

Hi Paperman,
I think you made the right choice there, the Bear is a great stove, I cant really fault it.
The insulation should lie flat on top of the upper burn plate, you should contact the dealer.

As others have said . . . yes . . . the insulation is important and should be replaced.

Thanks for the replies. I contacted my dealer who heartily agreed that it needed to be replaced and was going to call Yotul and have a new piece of insulation sent directly to my house. Can't beat the service! Thanks.

not sure what your other post was about but is the black bear another name for a jotul 118?

Yes F118, aka Black Bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.