Jotul F3 CB Hearth Build and Install Thread From Start to Finish (Extreme Pic Density)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The install date for the F3 is just around the corner this coming Friday.

With most of the chores to prepare for the install done, I decided to go out on my first scrounge of the fall. A lady had 4 fir trees cut leaving 10 feet of stump that she was going to have carved. The carving plan never panned out, so she decided she wanted them cut down. I went out to her house and fell the tall stumps, however the wood was full of termites and ants, and what wasn't rotten was very punky, so the trip was a loss. I cut into rounds and hauled them away because I said I would, but I didn't like it. First scrounge is a bust...

So back at home, I got to work on the wood rack project, which would wrap up my stove prep chore list.

Siding installed in the hole of the car port wall.

Then I framed up the wood rack, and started filling it up.

After 6 wheelbarrow loads.

We'll be pulling down this haus for some time to come.

Stay tuned for the stove install...

The stove man arrived today with my new Jotul F3 CB. The instillation went well. We had to add two 45s in order to locate the chimney far enough away from the ridge of the house so that the flashing would work. I don't mind the 45s at all. If anything, it adds character. The stove pipe package wasn't enough to finish the project because it left the top of the class A level with the ridge of the roof, but only a couple of feet away. Because of this I had to spend an additional $100 on two more feet of class A which coincidentally brought the total length of pipe to just about 15 feet. Perfect! ICS class A pipe is no joke expensive for some reason. Why is this? Anyhow...

When the installers left, I promptly built my first break in fire even though it was 69F outside.

The top down fire lit off like a rocket. Draft was great. I am very surprised with how well it burned with these outside temps.

After the first fire burnt down and the stove cooled, I relit and brought the temp up to 300 or so about two hours ago. That fire is coaling now, and it smells like new stove in the house. Here is the second break-in fire, first for the wife and kids and they are really loving the new stove.

The Jotul F3 CB is a super easy to use stove. This might have something to do with well seasoned wood, but I know that it has most to do with time well spent with all of you on this great forum. Thanks again, everyone! I'm off to open another window and turn on another fan. Happy burning burning and many more posts to come. Sunday is shaping up to be a super score day for scrounging, so stay tuned...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pellet_Pete
Ahh, RiverMonster.. You've taken me right back to those first magical days last December, when I was first lighting my own Jotul F3cb.

My installation was riddled with problems... (Don't worry...no probs with the stove itself, but truly terrible installers! You'll see my posts about that elsewhere).

I've loved reading your installation story here.. Please continue to post - I'd love to hear how you honeymoon with your beautiful new stove. I'd also value swapping any comparisons with regard to how our two stoves (and indeed other folk's F3 Cbs) perform in their different environments.

All the best from Scotland.

Good morning, Fiona! The stove is a beauty and it does put off the heat.

This morning the family and I decided that it would be a great morning to have our 3rd and last break in fire. I built another top down fire with a larger piece of alder and fir on the bottom this time, then lit her off, and off she went. After 15 or 20 minutes, I was able to get the main air down to about 2/3 closed. It's about 57F out right now. Most of the flames are secondaries. Awesome!!

You gotta love this wood burning stuff!

Great thread, thanks for taking the time to do it as you went along
Agreed. Threads like this one are exactly what make this site both helpful and inspirational. Keeps the "fire going" in the back of my mind as I look forward to making my own reality.

One thing about the F3, if you are using the start up air in the front get in a serious habit of closing it. Easy to forget and the pup turns into a lil blast furnace.

Beautiful install and in a place where that stove is gonna heat well. Congrats on a job very well done and welcome to the addiction.

Great thread, thanks for taking the time to do it as you went along

You're welcome, tmoney! I love these types of threads, so I try to post some of my own when I can.

Agreed. Threads like this one are exactly what make this site both helpful and inspirational. Keeps the "fire going" in the back of my mind as I look forward to making my own reality.

Hi, Pellet Pete! I hope you get your stove installed soon, so you can stay nice and toasty through the winter.

One thing about the F3, if you are using the start up air in the front get in a serious habit of closing it. Easy to forget and the pup turns into a lil blast furnace.

Beautiful install and in a place where that stove is gonna heat well. Congrats on a job very well done and welcome to the addiction.

The front start up air control is much more effective than I thought it would be. The incoming air really blasts the fire which gets it going in short order. I am conciously making it a habit to close it shortly after start up.

If your family likes the heat and view now . . . just wait until it really is cold out and the heat is cranking. :)

If your family likes the heat and view now . . . just wait until it really is cold out and the heat is cranking. :)

It was a bit colder in the low 50s last night and a small fire heated the house very nicely. I am very happy with the F3.

is that blue kindling bucket plastic? looks rather close to the stove

Yes it is. I temped it with the IR gun and the bucket has been moved. No more plastic bucket by the stove. :) Thank you for looking out. I mean this seriously. Thanks!

Hi Ditchmonkey!

I shimmed the hearth because the subfloor is very much out of level. The house is more than 115 years old, so it has settled a bit. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.