Jotul F400 Ash Door Removal Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
I am trying to replace the gasket on my ash pan door and I prefer to remove the door to clean the old glue off. The only problem is I can't completely remove the hinge bolt because there isn't enough clearance at the top. Is there a way to do this without taking apart the stove?

You can do that easily! just remove your ash lip on the face of the stove( its a tool less removal). Once that is out of the way you should have no trouble removing the pin.

On my stove, the door and pin are set back further than the ashlip. The pin is under the body of the stove.

The ashpan is held on by 4 hex head metric (10mm I think, maybe 13mm) bolts shooting up into the base of the stove.. The pan assembly is gasketed as well. Remove the bolts, it drops down and you can regasket the pa and the door all at the same time... Just make sure to take the ashes out of the stove before you start this process, obviously.

summit said:
The ashpan is held on by 4 hex head metric (10mm I think, maybe 13mm) bolts shooting up into the base of the stove.. The pan assembly is gasketed as well. Remove the bolts, it drops down and you can regasket the pa and the door all at the same time... Just make sure to take the ashes out of the stove before you start this process, obviously.

Thanks. I guess I would have to remove the bottom heat shield first (no big deal), but detaching and resetting the pan assembly looks like a major PITA. I scraped of the gasket and glue and installed the new gasket while the door was still on. The rest will have to wait for the first overhaul (whenever that can be expected to be needed... different topic for a new thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.