Jotul f400 clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xkbal

Sep 18, 2008
Alberta
Hello,

Hope someone here can help, found this site while searching for the info I'm looking for on the web.

I'm getting an F400 but don't have it yet. The plan is to install it in a corner. I would like to rough in the chimney before the stove arrives. Looking at the manual I see all the dimensions for side clearances but don't see how I can determine where the chimney should be located. as the dimensions for the stove don't seem to show the exact chimney location.

Thanks for any help,
Al

This is a challenge I also ran into when installing the F400. Are you installing straight up or rear exit flue? Will this be double-wall pipe?

Here is a link to a post that has my hearth layout for the F400, connected rear-exit. It's about the 6th down in the thread. Note that the location of the ceiling support box is dictate to some extent by the joist spacing for the floor above (dotted lines in the diagram).

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3166/

Hi,

I had seen your thread but unfortunately I'm planning on running straight up rather than back and up and using double wall pipe. Unless I find otherwise I've decided on having the centre of the flue 21.25" from each wall. I believe this should give me more than the required clearance distances. I'm somewhat fortunate in that I don't have floor joists to deal with above, just roof joists on 24" centres. Would be nice if they had given the dimension to the flue centres as I see Vermont Castings does with their stoves.

Thanks,
Al

PS great looking property you have.

Yes, it would be nice if they gave full dimensions in the manual. The stove is ~25.5" wide. With a straight-up flue, the flue center is the centerline of the stove - 12 3/4", at the back edge of the stove. If I understand your layout, I think you are well covered. Here's how I visualize the installation. Is this correct?

Attachments

• jotulF400_layout.jpg
    jotulF400_layout.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 492
Hi,

Yep, that's pretty much what's planned. Just going to have a slightly larger hearth pad (60" from corner).

Thanks for the help.

Al

PS. should you be interested here is a google earth picture of our property. Building isn't shown but the house site is in the NE clearing on the property. 160 acres so 1/2 X 1/2 mile. Not quite moved there yet but we can't wait to get out of the city.

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 234
Good plan, it never hurts to exceed the minimum clearances. Best of luck with the move, sounds really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.