Jotul F600 Firelight Install- New Break in fire picture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great. Watch that carpet and embers, looks like you have more than enough clearance but those little buggers tend to jump far. Enjoy it and smart move on going with the wifes suggestion.

KatWill said:
Looks great. Watch that carpet and embers, looks like you have more than enough clearance but those little buggers tend to jump far. Enjoy it and smart move on going with the wifes suggestion.

I learned the hard way about embers and carpet in my previous house. This room will be hardwood as soon as we recoup some savings from the windows and stove install.

JDC said:
Finally have the stove installed. This is the 2nd break in fire to 300*. The stove is creaking a bit, is this normal? Stoked to have this thing going full bore for the holiday this weekend.

JDC,
Are you still having problems with your F600 "creaking?"
I got a new F600 firelight - bought end-of-year 2010 and put into service November 2011. It made such a racket -- I videotaped it and sent it to Jotul NA. They had no idea what the problem was, but it was so bad they sent me a new stove and took the first one back to their R & D lab in Portland, ME. My replacement stove made the same horrible racket (more like "snapping" as opposed to "creaking"). We had to sleep with earplugs (the stove is the only heat source in the house so we HAD to keep it fired).
Meantime, the R & D folks determined that the stoves had a manufactured defect. The steel baffle tubes in the top of the firebox are supposed to be secured on one side and free-floating on the other (to allow for expansion and contraction). The holes that the baffle tubes slide into are not large enough, and hold the tubes too snugly in position so they can't expand, resulting in the snapping sound. Jotul was unaware of this problem until they did a vivisection on my stove. This has just come to light within the past week, and they've been real good about it.
I've had my stove # 2 repaired. It's a relatively easy fix. I'd be happy to share my experience with you in more detail, but I thought I'd let you know of this development with the F600 in case you're experiencing what I did.

Awesome stove, I may install one of those on the other end of the house instead of an insert. I really like yours, well done.

Jim

I never worked a stove that didnt make some type of noise when heating up or cooling down. Even though my neighbor's soapstone is pretty darn quite, the pipe still creeks and ticks a bit when heating up and cooling down. This is the norm and if you're not used to it, it might seem a little off. Our old steal stove sounded like it was going to fly through the roof sometimes. Our Oslo can make some noise, but I dont even notice anymore. Steal and iron naturally expand and extract with such extreme temperature changes.. perfectly normal. I guess woodchuck's case was a little different. Enjoy the stove. It looks awesome!

Thanks for the advice on the creaking. It isnt anything that is too loud. I have never owned a woodstove and it took a few days to get used to. I am nothing but impressed with this stove. We have not had any real cold yet. Last night we got into the mid teens and it kept the family room and kitchen at 80* and the other side of the house in the high 60s. Upstairs was probably in the low 60s. We have just under 3300 square feet with half of the house built in 1857. I am working on getting our chimney on the old side of the house lined so we can get the Super Jack fired back up. They will be a force to be reckoned with. I should be able to use 0 propane as we can use the F600 on days that are to warm to run the Super Jack and use both on the extremely cold days.

Beautiful install. Really liked the hearth when it was all by its lonesome, it's downright awesome with the Brown Majoilica. Thumbs up to your wife and you, you guys have nailed it!

Thanks HollowHill,

We were going to do a full floor to ceiling rock hearth with a mantel on a different wall. We got the two sets of windows in on either side of where it was going to be and last minute decided to move the stove and add a third set of windows. Now that the stove is in its current location, I have to move upstairs and add windows to the master as the chimney goes directly in front of the windows upstairs. Adding a stove has turned into a snowball.

KatWill said:

+1 Careful with the double doors and carpet

Very nice. I only ever use the side door to load. Youmight want to consider a cheap hearth rug from a box store to protect the carpet on the side. I had one and put on wood floor next to side door, thinking I would never have to worry about sparks. I was wrong, it already has several burn marks on it. Love the stove. Awesome heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.