Jotul Handle Malfunction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleby

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
Eastern PA
So the other night while I was loading my Oslo, somehow the Spring Pin in the handle fell out of the handle to close the front door and fell off onto the hearth. A little unnerving for a couple minutes as the fire raged inside while i figured out how to put the handle back on and close the door. I did figure it out with the spring and all and got the handle back on but without noticing I put it back on so the handle now closes up rather then down as before. Now I can't figure out how to get the Spring Pin back out to make the handle correct again and close down. Does anyone know how to get this pin out other then accidentally?

009-1.jpg

Handle closing up now.

013-1.jpg

You can see the pin right there in the handle base.

By spring pin do you mean a hollow pin with a slit down the length of it? If it is it should be installed in a through hole, (bored from one side to the other). If that it the case a pin punch the same diameter or slightly smaller than the pin can be used with a small hammer to tap it out. A roll pin should be sized large enough that it does not " fall out". It should be necessary to tap it into place to start with.

On the 500 the roll pin only goes into one side and fixes the latch rod. Try letting the stove go cold, then wiggle the latch rod while making sure the pin hole side is down to work with gravity. Or, Lightly tap the back side of the area opposite the pin hole, Or take a small brass screw and screw it into the pin just enough for it to grab, then again wiggle as at the start. Once it's out open the pin slightly with a screwdriver and tap it in lightly after changing the handle to the correct position. Or take an acetylene cutting torch, waste the handle and re weld (just kidding) Good luck and be safe.
Ed

Seems as the roll pin broke in two. It needs to be pulled out.
Yes, a brass screw may work. I would use an improvised
slide hammer. Maybe by a machine screw held by a vice grip.
Or, carefully drill the pin out til the handle comes off. Replace with a
new common roll pin. An easy fix.

A strong armed wood burner! Actually all the latches require some
force to engage them. The pin is the weakest link. Nice positive locking
of the doors. Still a good Norse design.

Status
Not open for further replies.