Jotul Kennebec Stove Thermometer Location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrounger

Feb 13, 2007
Rockford, MI
Been reading here for a couple months and what a great resource this forum is! I have a Jotul Kennebec that is finally installed correctly and working great. I'll save the installation story for another post. Where should I locate a stove thermometer? The insert sits back inside the surround and doesn't protrude anywhere (sides or top) that I can stick a magnetic thermometer to. I've seen other Kennebec owners post and refer to stove temps. Where are you guys placing your thermometers? I attached a picture to show the finished install.

Luke

Attachments

• jotul.jpg
    jotul.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 537
Scrounger said:
Been reading here for a couple months and what a great resource this forum is! I have a Jotul Kennebec that is finally installed correctly and working great. I'll save the installation story for another post. Where should I locate a stove thermometer? The insert sits back inside the surround and doesn't protrude anywhere (sides or top) that I can stick a magnetic thermometer to. I've seen other Kennebec owners post and refer to stove temps. Where are you guys placing your thermometers? I attached a picture to show the finished install.

Luke

Excellent question!!!....because my 450 just arrived at the dealers and I've been wondering the same thing too......

Roospike said:
Welcome to the forum Scrounger. Beautiful install and stove...................

I'll let the Kennebec owners tell you were to stick it. ;-)

come on Spike...you're killing us (especially since my 450's at the stove shop now awaiting pickup)......where does the thermometer go....LOL.....?

I have one on the to pf my stove and also the front face kinda behind the door above the knife edge. I dont think the Kennebec has a place above the door. If you could get it on top between the shroud and the stove on top i would think the blower would off set an accurate reading.

It would be nice if all the inserts had a probe thermometer that could be hooked to the stove on the body or in the pipe and ran to the outside of the stove in some nice hidden but well viewed place.

Roospike said:
I have one on the to pf my stove and also the front face kinda behind the door above the knife edge. I dont think the Kennebec has a place above the door. If you could get it on top between the shroud and the stove on top i would think the blower would off set an accurate reading.

It would be nice if all the inserts had a probe thermometer that could be hooked to the stove on the body or in the pipe and ran to the outside of the stove in some nice hidden but well viewed place.

I think MOHeat said his WWL had a pre-drilled hole for a digital thermometer but not sure about the 450..

Scrounger said:

Luke

I keep mine behind the cast iron front (doors, lip just behind the doors) on the steel top, just under the chevron/keystone/whatever-that-is on the center of the surround (assuming kennebec surround, not tamarac). With the stove all teh way in the sleeve, it's a bit of a chore to see the exact temps, but you can get a good idea of the temp once you're used to the thermometer.

I coresponded with a rep from Jotul a while back, and he confirmed that this was the place to monitor temps, if you wanted to do so (although the manual has no mention of temps, as you probably know, just the advice not to let the stove turn red :) )

-Hal

Scrounger said:

Luke

Meant to mention this in my last post...

Is that a picture of your install? If so, the hearth is _WAY_ short for the kennebec (18" from the glass is required, if I recall). I've had a log roll out and was VERY happy I gave myself 21+ inches of hearth. You'd probably be well advised to at least put down a hearth pad, if not extend your hearth somehow (even at the floor level).

-Hal

HalJason said:
Scrounger said:

Luke

Is that a picture of your install? If so, the hearth is _WAY_ short for the kennebec (18" from the glass is required, if I recall). I've had a log roll out and was VERY happy I gave myself 21+ inches of hearth. You'd probably be well advised to at least put down a hearth pad, if not extend your hearth somehow (even at the floor level).

-Hal

I noticed that too and since you have a raised hearth, if a log falls out it's going down hill and will roll even more once it hits the carpeting.......

castiron said:
HalJason said:

-Hal

I noticed that too and since you have a raised hearth, if a log falls out it's going down hill and will roll even more once it hits the carpeting.......

I have a raised hearth too, but a baby gate is installed in front of that, so any rolling comes to an abrupt stop (although embers can make it through).

However, I think that a flaming log rolling at you is the type of thing you only allow to happen once. I've been very careful since :)

-Hal

HalJason said:

-Hal

Thanks for the location to put the thermometer Hal. I'll pick one up and wiggle it in there. I have thought about getting or making a hearth pad for safety. When we used to use the fireplace we would get a pop every now and then with a hot ember shooting out on the carpet. Several burns here and there. What a difference the insert is compared to the fire place! Got home from work earlier this week and the wife had it about 78 degrees in the house. Some of our wood is a little green, you can hear is hissing when the door is opened. After reading a while on here I've learned how to properly stack and season the wood.

Picked up a stove thermometer this weekend and put it on the insert. It's great to be able to see the temp rise when you damper it down. Now I'm able to fine tune it to get the max heat output. Had the thermometer up to 600 and man it was throwing out some heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.