jotul olso ash tray issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncmallard78

Oct 8, 2007
NC
ok here it goes. I have been buring close to 24/7 the past couple of weeks, and so i went to take out the ash tray. after pulling out the tray and dumping the ashes, i went to put the tray back in. it slid in fine, but as i try to close the access, it wont close! i pull out the tray to check for blockage, and cant find any. push back in, and still cant close it. so i force it, and it closes.

now, when i burn, it seems as though some air is getting in from the base and is fueling the fire. questions.

1- is this common with jotul stoves?
2- how do i fix it?
3-should i just shovel my ashes and not worry about an ash drawer?

thanks! love my stove.

There is almost certainly something back there that is blocking the ash pan. Usually it's a mound of compact grey ash. This can be hard to see. Take a flashlight and a poker and check.

Did you check the gasket to see if maybe a piece of charcoal is stuck to it?

Or maybe something fell on the door and bent the hinge pin?

Also check the latch, the bent metal piece on the opposite side of the ash door handle. See if that is possibly bent. Or maybe the spring has a piece of debris in it?

If you pull offf the ash lip you will have access to the hinge pin for the door. So after the fire is out pull the door and take a look.

I have the same stove and I think it could possibly be the latch on the door handle.

J.P.

have you ever had this issue before? both times ive done it i have had the same problem. im going to check it with a light at lunch. thanks!

Hi, sounds like there is something on the floor of the ash pan body. Need to take a vacuum and clean it out when the fire is out. I've been using mine for about six weeks, 24/7, empty every three or four days and haven't had any problems with it yet.

Jim

I have an Oslo and if I let the ash tray get too full, when I pull it out the top of the ash heap is shaved off by the top of the ash tray void leaving a pile of ashes in the tray holder. When I try to return the ash tray to the hole it won't go all the way in because the spilled ashes are pushed to the back and make a dam. I have to use my shovel to pull all the spilled ashes out, and then the ash tray will slide back in and the door will close. I'm betting this is what is happening to you.

Chris

Never had a problem with my ash pan......I'd take the poker and make sure there is no debris back there......theres probably a chunk of coal or compacted ash abck there.
Is the ashpan door gasket seated right?

problem solved! ash was slamed in the back of the drawer. it was so compressed it was alsmost rock solid. i chiseled it out and the pan fits, and i have a great seal! thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.