Jotul Oslo F500 - Install Q's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMagoo

Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2008
Western CT
I had my new Oslo F500 Oslo installed today... well not quite.

A couple things came up that made me delay the installation and I am wondering what you all think about a few things:

1) The Brown Porcelain Enamel finish had a few defects including a rather large chip along the side door opening. Although not visible when the door is closed, I am concerned that the finish will continue to chip off at that spot and sooner or later become visible. There is also a blemish on the top insert that was 4 or 5 almost-white spots each the size of the dot a sharpie makes when you touch it to paper. This stands out on the lush brown enamel. Finally there was a 1.5 inch line of dark I-don't-know-what (the installer said it was not stove cement) on the side of the stove top.

2) The installer doubted if the blower could be installed with the short-leg option. He was concerned that there might not be enough room for the blower to be mounted on the underside of the stove. The blower instructions did not state if this was or wasn't OK. He called someone for some help but could not get the boss on the phone.

I ended up postponing the install but I do have a few questions:

How high quality should I expect of the brown enamel finish? Are some chips/blemishes expected and acceptable?

Can anyone tell me if the blower can be installed with the short legs?

Also, the installer seemed knowledgeable and confident, but he also talked generally about required clearances. He was not referring to the manual while we were talking about some placement considerations. I seemed to know much more than he did on this front. I need to be able to get this permitted. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone for your help!

for $2300 there should not be a mark on it. the question is can your dealer replace it with another stove in a timely fashion? I hear there gonna be hard to get. I suppose you did'nt check it before you brought it home. all the clearences are sated in the manual

I agree with Hanko - that finish should be flawless, if not, a replacement or $$ adjustments should be made. Would it be possible to order a new door?

I have a 500 that I installed myself, I don't see how it could get damaged with the way it is packaged. It seems it must have left the factory that way. Mine didn't have a scratch on it and I got $300 off end of year sale.

forgot to add, you dont need a blower on that stove, they work excellent with out it

Status
Not open for further replies.