Jotul Oslo is IN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
Got her installed and started the first break-in fire.

This thread would be worthless without pics...so here are a pair to keep you happy.

ac

Attachments

• Jotul Oslo is IN
    DSC_0216.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 404
  • Jotul Oslo is IN
    DSC_0212.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 416
Looks good. now dont be complaining in a week cause you havnt got it figured out. It can be a fussy bugger. It demands properly dried wood, nothng less

Hanko said:
Looks good. now dont be complaining in a week cause you havnt got it figured out. It can be a fussy bugger. It demands properly dried wood, nothng less

I dunno. A few pieces of busted up pallet, 1 piece of cardboard and a propane torch and I was flying.
ac

I have the same model stove. Based on my experience, one suggestion would have been to extend the tile on out on the loading door side a bit farther. Say about 20 feet.

Just kidding - looks very handsome.

jotul8e2 said:
I have the same model stove. Based on my experience, one suggestion would have been to extend the tile on out on the loading door side a bit farther. Say about 20 feet.

Just kidding - looks very handsome.

LOL. It is over the 18" required :)
ac

avc8130 said:
Hanko said:

I dunno. A few pieces of busted up pallet, 1 piece of cardboard and a propane torch and I was flying.
ac

whatever works

Very nice install - congrats.

The three most important factors after you have such a nice install, assuming you have 17+ feet of insulated flue are:

1. dry wood
2. dry wood
3. dry wood

If you are new to the dry wood concept (<20% MC), the best favor you can do yourself is get next year's wood (and maybe the year after) now.

very nice,

is the tile level with the floor? If so, how did you make it so it met the required r value and was still level with the surrounding floor?

1. She is plumbed into an existing masonry chimney. It is internal to the house and about 16'. It seems to draft just fine.
2. I am working on the wood right now. I am out chainsaw shopping and log splitter shopping. Still have a bunch to read on those fronts.
3. The tile is JUST ABOUT level with the floor. It is on 1/2" Durock concrete board. The Oslo requires ember protection only.
ac

Thats a great looking stove and install. From my experience with the Oslo, it was a very forgiving and easy to use stove. Then again, ours was installed with a metalbestos chimney straight thru the roof. I loved that stove when we burned it.

Hey, you've come a long way in a short time, 'cuz you KNEW we'd be bustin' ya for postin' without PICS! hahaha!

I recall your other thread, and it looks to me like you need to get out some real wood and crank that puppy up
Jotul Oslo is IN

Franks said:
Thats a great looking stove and install. From my experience with the Oslo, it was a very forgiving and easy to use stove. Then again, ours was installed with a metalbestos chimney straight thru the roof. I loved that stove when we burned it.

This is why I chose the stove after MUCH reading around the forum. We originally fell in love with the Lopi Leyden, but I was discouraged by all of the troubled burns I was reading about. This stove seems simple: 1 lever. Of course I really haven't played with this lever much during the burn-in fires. Wide open to the proper temp and then shut her down.

Tonight I will try a maintained burn. Hoping to run her around 550 for a few hours this evening and then pack her full for the night and see what we can do.
ac

ansehnlich1 said:
it looks to me like you need to get out some real wood and crank that puppy up
Jotul Oslo is IN

These are the most true words in this thread! Unfortunately I am having trouble locating TRULY seasoned wood in my area. If anyone has a source in North Jersey, please let me know!
ac

avc8130 said:
ansehnlich1 said:
it looks to me like you need to get out some real wood and crank that puppy up
Jotul Oslo is IN

These are the most true words in this thread! Unfortunately I am having trouble locating TRULY seasoned wood in my area. If anyone has a source in North Jersey, please let me know!
ac

Hey I have the same stove and it's a heating powerhouse. Start getting wood right now, even for next year. If you're planning on burning 24/7 or close to it, you just go out and get whatever wood you can find til the pile is so big people start to question your sanity, haha, then you'll be set!

ansehnlich1 said:
Hey I have the same stove and it's a heating powerhouse. Start getting wood right now, even for next year. If you're planning on burning 24/7 or close to it, you just go out and get whatever wood you can find til the pile is so big people start to question your sanity, haha, then you'll be set!

That is exactly the plan. You should see the size pile of pallets I have for immediate burning. I must have close to 100 pallets I have collected while driving around over the last few weeks.

Its going to be hard for overnighters with pallet wood. Hope you are able to find some seasoned splits. I know a few people that bought new stoves this year and are having major issues with unseasoned wood. Its hard to get good stuff unless you season it yourself.. best of luck and start stacking for next winter.

logger said:
Its going to be hard for overnighters with pallet wood. Hope you are able to find some seasoned splits. I know a few people that bought new stoves this year and are having major issues with unseasoned wood. Its hard to get good stuff unless you season it yourself.. best of luck and start stacking for next winter.

Yeah, I realize these issues. My expectations for this year are not very high. I plan to use the pallet wood as much as I can. I also have some oak flooring scraps to burn. We shall see.
ac

Love my Jotul Oslo . . . very pretty stove.

This stove LOVES pallets. I can get and hold 550 pretty well. I burned from 7pm through about 3AM with 1 reload (first load was starter) and didn't even use 1 pallet.

Next year will be so sweet with REAL wood.
ac

Status
Not open for further replies.