Jotul Oslo vs Kuma Ashwood - which would you choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’d offer him cash at what YOU think is a fair deal.
Non 2020 compliant wouldn’t stop me providing you don’t have inspection issues. If I have to look at it in a living room then looks are important to me. You may not care.

Cool.never knew that
The v2 may not have been now that I think of it. I don't remember when they opened their production facility here. It wasn't long ago though

Reactions: afult7
I would choose made in America.
I am pretty sure there was a press release a couple of years ago on this topic. The Oslo and all US Jotul stoves are now assembled in Maine. The castings are shipped over from the Norway foundry. If the v2 is a 2019 model then I suspect there is a good chance it was assembled in Maine. That said, if the dealer is asking $3800 I would walk away. (Are you sure that wasn't $2800?) Not only is that price exorbitant, it's also illegal. Is this who you want supporting you with a Jotul in the future?

PS: Osburn is Canadian where Drolet, Regency, PE, Napoleon, some BKs, etc. are also made.

Last edited:
I’d offer him cash at what YOU think is a fair deal.
Non 2020 compliant wouldn’t stop me providing you don’t have inspection issues. If I have to look at it in a living room then looks are important to me. You may not care.

Looks do matter to me. I am a woman ☺️. But they matter a lot less to my husband, so I'm trying to take that into consideration. He would want more of a practical, economical choice. If I can get a good deal on the Oslo that would definitely help. I'm not really sure what a fair deal would be though since I'm so new to wood stoves. If the previous commenter got his for $1700 from the dealer, and I'm assuming it was new, then maybe $1200 for this one since it was burned for 2 years? It feels kind of like a low ball offer but with no warranty, etc I feel like maybe that's the price that would make it worth it to me?

Looks do matter to me. I am a woman ☺. But they matter a lot less to my husband, so I'm trying to take that into consideration. He would want more of a practical, economical choice. If I can get a good deal on the Oslo that would definitely help. I'm not really sure what a fair deal would be though since I'm so new to wood stoves. If the previous commenter got his for $1700 from the dealer, and I'm assuming it was new, then maybe $1200 for this one since it was burned for 2 years? It feels kind of like a low ball offer but with no warranty, etc I feel like maybe that's the price that would make it worth it to me?
$1200 is not a low ball offer at all.

Ah, now you tell us that it is used. That is not illegal then. The stove sold for about $2500, so an offer of about $1500 is fair if it is in excellent condition. Is the stove enameled or painted black?

Ah, now you tell us that it is used. That is not illegal then. The stove sold for about $2500, so an offer of about $1500 is fair if it is in excellent condition. Is the stove enameled or painted black?
If it was used as a display model in the store it's still illegal. It it was used by a customer it is legal.

Reactions: Highbeam
If it was used as a display model in the store it's still illegal. It it was used by a customer it is legal.
Ah, I didn't know that.

Ah, I didn't know that.
I had been told dealers couldn't sell pre 2020 stuff at all. You corrected me on that and then I looked more. It clearly says used in a non-commercial setting.

They're asking $3800 so it just feels that way to me. I'm going in to talk to them today. What would you offer?
Personally due to the fact they aren't allowed to sell it probably $1000. But up to $1500 is reasonable

There are used Oslo’s on Facebook marketplace for $800-2000 all day. Don’t feel bad making a low offer.
His asking price is ridiculous.

Reactions: bholler
Ok thank you, and thank you to everyone for your help. I'm going in to talk to them today. I'll let you all know how it goes.
I doubt they will take it. But that's no reason to pay more than you should

I think 1200 is low but what’s the worst he can say? I would be in the 50% off ballpark cause if you don’t buy it somebody else will.
I wouldn’t play the illegal to sell it game.

The guy still has a store front to pay for as well as a light bill. No need to kick him in the cookies because someday you may need him for something else. My stove shop not only sold me the insert but also a BGE both at cash discounts plus a lot of other odds and ends not forgetting they are also snowmobilers that I might see in the watering holes. I rather have a solid name recognition and a smiling face from them but that’s me.

They're asking $3800 so it just feels that way to me. I'm going in to talk to them today. What would you offer?
That is way over what the stove sold for new. Is the stove enameled or painted black? Was this a customer trade-in stove or a floor model?

I think 1200 is low but what’s the worst he can say? I would be in the 50% off ballpark cause if you don’t buy it somebody else will.
I wouldn’t play the illegal to sell it game.

The guy still has a store front to pay for as well as a light bill. No need to kick him in the cookies because someday you may need him for something else. My stove shop not only sold me the insert but also a BGE both at cash discounts plus a lot of other odds and ends not forgetting they are also snowmobilers that I might see in the watering holes. I rather have a solid name recognition and a smiling face from them but that’s me.

Wise thoughts, thank you. I'm thinking I'm just going to go with the Ashwood. I don't want to play games and I'd rather have that good relationship as you said. Also they are my only options right now due to all the supply issues, if I didn't have the option of buying one of these floor models it would take at least 3 months to get a stove. Dealers are backed up everywhere with supply issues, just started the last couple months I was told. I feel fortunate that i have the option to buy one of these.

Ugh. The Oslo is actually a V3, it was mislabeled and the salesperson I talked to the other day didn't know what she was talking about. I just met with one of the owners and she was super helpful, I'm relieved that they weren't trying to illegally sell a stove.

Sorry for the confusion, now I'm back to the drawing board deciding between the V3 Oslo or the Ashwood LE. What were the problems reported with the V3 Oslo? Are there good reasons I shouldn't choose that one? I'm kind of leaning toward it now. The owner had nothing but good things to say about it and wasn't aware of any problems with it, had used it for a year in her store and said it works great.

Ugh. The Oslo is actually a V3, it was mislabeled and the salesperson I talked to the other day didn't know what she was talking about. I just met with one of the owners and she was super helpful, I'm relieved that they weren't trying to illegally sell a stove.

Sorry for the confusion, now I'm back to the drawing board deciding between the V3 Oslo or the Ashwood LE. What were the problems reported with the V3 Oslo? Are there good reasons I shouldn't choose that one? I'm kind of leaning toward it now. The owner had nothing but good things to say about it and wasn't aware of any problems with it, had used it for a year in her store and said it works great.