Jotul painting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
My 602cb is looking a little tired. Wanted to throw a coat of paint on it.
1. Is the iron painted from the factory? It doesn't have the enamel like the older ones
2. Prep. Anything special? I'm not feeling like going nuts. Maybe a flapper wheel?
3. Hi temp enamel/grill paint I'm thinking unless there's a better suggestion.

Yes it is painted. Steel wool works well, especially if the stove is not rusted. Vacuum and tack rag clean. Wipe down with alcohol. Then paint with a good stove paint. Stove Bright metallic black looks good on these stoves.

Reactions: nola mike
I ended up scuffing any iffy looking spots with a wire wheel, then thoroughly cleaning/tack cloth. Used rust oleum semi gloss black high temp (1200') as that was what was locally available. Didn't take long, and really came out fantastic. Pics don't do it justice. It covered all of my stove cement seams as well, which didn't quite match. Did a cure fire last night, real deal coming soon to test the new manifold. We'll see how long it holds up.

Before:

IMG_20231110_185134.jpg

After:

IMG_20231112_094840.jpg
IMG_20231112_094900.jpg

Reactions: Todd
Unfortunately that was a giant fail. Paint flaked off after the first hot fire. I prepped per the instructions, which specified only soap and water wash. Tried again, this time wire wheel to bare metal in a test area (cook plate, which I also heat cured controlled in an oven just to take that out of the equation), otherwise just scuffed, soap and water clean, then acetone. Same result. Now looking at the stove bright paint, or I see rutland has a product as well. I'm a little gun shy about dropping $30 on something that I can't get locally, is not returnable, and might have the same result. Too bad, because it really looked good.

I have picked up Stove Brite satin black at Home Depot in the past and Northline Express has it for $17.89.

Is the issue only with the cookplate? Maybe it's best to clean it up and leave it unpainted?

I have picked up Stove Brite satin black at Home Depot in the past
I don't see it listed on their website; that's where I got the rustoleum

and Northline Express has it for $17.89.
+$17 shipping :eek:

Is the issue only with the cookplate? Maybe it's best to clean it up and leave it unpainted?
unfortunately not just the cookplate. It's unpainted from the factory I think. Definitely most affected in the real hot areas of the stove, around the cook plate, upper sides and above the door. Nothing approaching 1200' though.

unfortunately not just the cookplate. It's unpainted from the factory I think. Definitely most affected in the real hot areas of the stove, around the cook plate, upper sides and above the door. Nothing approaching 1200' though.
Has the stove ever had a coat of stove polish applied?

Has the stove ever had a coat of stove polish applied?
Yeah, it has long ago. I thought of that, but wire brushing, soap, and solvent had to have removed it. I kept cleaning with the acetone until the rag was clean when wiped. Also, the paint on the lower portions (cooler) is much better.
IMG_20231208_003242.jpg

Yeah, it has long ago. I thought of that, but wire brushing, soap, and solvent had to have removed it. I kept cleaning with the acetone until the rag was clean when wiped. Also, the paint on the lower portions (cooler) is much better.
View attachment 320334
Maybe not. It's a waxy substance that is hard to remove without sandblasting.

The cook top I got down to bare metal before the last attempt and it still peeled. Stove bright has a one year warranty but only if purchased from North line 🙄

Going to give that 2k paint a go. I'll do a section at a time to see which prep if any works best

Break in the paint with a very small, kindling only fire first. Stove top temp only around 250º. Then take each fire up 100º STT.

Reactions: nola mike
Ok, so issue number 1-
Looks to be a black enameled stove. Paint is a pain in the ass to stick to enamel sometimes, really need to scuff it up good, or better yet, sandblast it off.
Issue #2-
The solvent absolutely positively did NOT remove all the old stove polish. That stuff gets in every crease and crevice, and since your stove is enameled, it got into all the microscopic cracks in the finish. Only way to fully remove polish from any stove is sandblasting.

In my professional opinion, its not a paint problem you are having, its a surface prep problem. You will need to sandblast the whole thing down to bare metal.

The cook top I got down to bare metal before the last attempt and it still peeled. Stove bright has a one year warranty but only if purchased from North line 🙄

Going to give that 2k paint a go. I'll do a section at a time to see which prep if any works best
You got the cook top down to bare metal becauae it painted or machined from the foundry. Northline likely wont cover the warranty because the paint isnt made for painting over enamel. P

Always reach out to me for paint. I can sell Thurmalox at retail pricing and I know how to ship hazardous goods through USPS, which is way cheaper. I can ship generally 2-4 cans for around $12 total. But the paint itself is a couple bucks more per can because its professional grade.

Reactions: bigealta