Jotul Winterport C350 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JSangrey

Nov 29, 2011
York, PA
Ok everyone, here is my delima. I called today to get a quote on a Jotul Winterport C350 insert for my fireplace, which is a masonry fireplace. Well upon calling and asking for a estimate the man on the other end said that I am looking at anywhere from $2600 for the insert plus steel surround, about $600 for 30ft of stainless chimney liner, told me I need a hearth extension because I only have 13 1/2" of hearth, and $2000 for install. My jaw about hit the floor when he was telling me all this because his estimate was way off of all of my other estimates. I am aware that most flush mount inserts need 16" in from of the insert, but I am comfortable with my 13 1/2" I have now because I plan to use a fireplace rug infront of the stove. Ok, with this all said. My other quotes for a Quadra-fire Voyageur and Lopi declaration plus are around $4200 with the insert, chimney liner, and install. This seems more reasonable than what I was quoted from the Jotul dealer. This dealer would not even look at installing a stove in my house without the hearth extension. I told him I would sign a disclaimer and everything and he still said no. Mose other fireplace shops put it on the bottom of the invoice what spec's your application doesnt meet and have you sign it. End of story. I think this shop is trying to rip me off. Can anyone else tell me if this seems out of line. Thanks for all your help.

FWIW, he may not be trying to rip you off so much as protecting his rear end from liability. Hearth rugs can move, and disclaimers won't stop the lawyers from knocking.

Either way, it's your decision. Find a stove you like, do your homework, and do what pleases you.

Merry Christmas, sir.

Ya, I understand. I just thought his install price was very high compared to the other estimates I got ( $2000 compared to $475 from the other guys). I really liked the Jotul, but not I dont have a dealer to get it off of. I could always buy the stove and have someone else install it I guess. I would just rather purchase from a fireplace shop that way I can always get service from them. I am torn between the Lopi Declaration Plus and the Quadra-Fire Voyageur. Does anyone know which is a better stove ? I like the Automatic Combustion Control on the Quad, but the fire box isnt as large as the Declaration.

My one main concery with having the hearth a little on the short side would be for insurance reasons. If something was to happen I just might not have a leg to stand on. I dont wanna be in that position. I dont think 3in is going to mean the world of difference, like I was mentioned before. I like in a older home with original wood floors and I dont wanna go extending the heath out and cutting away some of that flooring.

Ya, I understand that. In those situations I tack nail a Hy-C hearth extender board, which is nothing more than an 18 wide stove board with an R value of 1.1 to the floor in front of the insert and run a bead of silicone around it. It's not permanent and doesn't alter the old floors. It's ugly though, and may or may not meet Jotul's requirements.

I wouldn't want to leave the house or go to sleep without the recommended hearth in front of the insert. I just walked over now & used my IR gun on the stone hearth about 13 1/2" from the front of my insert. Current temp: 134. I've got it choked down pretty good as it's relatively warm outside and the blower is on. If I'm not mistaken, the fire rug you mention is for protection against sparks and small coals--not for the heat that builds up over hours. It would help protect the wood; but not to my satisfaction.

Just think how bad that old floor will look when a burning log or hot ember land on it.. Do the right thing and meet the minimum spec and you will not be sorry.. You know what needs to be done so please be safe..

Good luck!

Ray

Don't think he dealer is trying to rip you off here. In fact maybe should be commended for refusing to do a job unless he can do it right. SOmething to be said for a guy that want's to know it's right and safe when he walks out the door. As for the hearth extension I can tell you that you'd be amazed at the heat in front of the insert on the hearth. Directly in front of my insert the tile is cool, about 6" out it starts to get hot and at12" it is HOT. I have a raised hearth (2") and the hearth is warm all the way out to the edge but the hardwood in front of the lip is cool. I don't think this is an area that the lawyers have built a lot of leeway in, if it says you need it I'd do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.