Joutl Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BJAM

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
Central NH
I have a question about the top baffle plate in the stove. It seems to me that it would be a little restrictive. Has anyone taken theirs out and what was the result. Thanks. New member but long time reader!!

That's what makes the stove EPA certified and clean burning. I imagine if you remove it, it'll burn a heck of a lot different than it was designed to.

We have a Castine and it burns great once you get it up to temp. I have to work with it a bit to get the fire going, but after that, I can shut the door and let the air intake do the work. I beleive my start up procedure has more to do with our "so-so" chimney set up rather than the stove.

You'll get a little rollout with the Castine now and again when reloading. I think this is more of a funcation of the top baffle plate being close to the front door. There's just not enough space for the smoke to "turn" in; therefore some spills out. It's not bothersome to us, so I don't really notice it.

Uh, as Skier mentioned the baffle is one of the main reasons for the magic mojo in the Jotul . . . the reason you can achieve secondary combustion and get more heat with less wood and burn more efficiently and cleanly. Without a doubt, leave it in . . . it's really not restrictive and is serving a rather useful purpose.

Already been explained perfectly, but yes, leave it in. You got yourself a nice little stove by the way

Thanks for the quick response!! I have burned wood for a long time, or should say since my father cut it to length with a one lung-er. It's the best heat. Just curious not concerned about a little smoke when you open the door. If you manage your wood a little it's a great stove.

Skier76 said:
That's what makes the stove EPA certified and clean burning. I imagine if you remove it, it'll burn a heck of a lot different than it was designed to.

We have a Castine and it burns great once you get it up to temp. I have to work with it a bit to get the fire going, but after that, I can shut the door and let the air intake do the work. I beleive my start up procedure has more to do with our "so-so" chimney set up rather than the stove.

You'll get a little rollout with the Castine now and again when reloading. I think this is more of a funcation of the top baffle plate being close to the front door. There's just not enough space for the smoke to "turn" in; therefore some spills out. It's not bothersome to us, so I don't really notice it.

I have a Castine with a tee out (two 45 degree bends) which does affect draft. However, I really don't have any problems with it. There is some minor smoke roll out if I open the door quickly, but that is a bonus when I get to smell the great aromas of Cherrywood like my neighbors get for free :-S

Personally, I would never remove a stove part unless I knew for sure what the result would be. I would start by asking the manufacturer what they think. I expect that they will tell you not to mess with it.

JotulOwner,
You're probably right. I have one 90 bend in the house...and another one where the thimble meets the exterior chimney. The 6" exit to the 8" metal exterior chimney probably has a slight effect as well. ;-) However, once I get it going, I'm able to shut the door, leave the primary open and get it up to 400 pretty easily.

It's really amazing how identical stoves can have such different "characteristics" due to where they're installed and chimney setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.