Just a question about stove pipe connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stevenf

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
Probably a simple question for most but I'm wondering if I have a potential problem. I installed a new wood stove and chimney system about three years ago and everything has been working fine. However, when I recently decided to do an inspection and cleaning I noticed some creosote build up on the inside of the flue. This was a very narrow area where the stove pipe is connected to the thimble in the ceiling. Seems like I must be getting some room air pulled into the flue at this connection. I can't see any other reason why it would build up only in this one spot. As I recall, I put the pieces together just about as tight as I reasonably could get them.

Nothing in the chimney looked horrible and it all cleaned out quite easily. I'm just wondering if this room air being introduced at this one connection is something I should address or just not worry about it. I know I waited too long to clean and it will be getting cleaned annually from here on.