Just bought a 10-cpm!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alltherage

Jan 12, 2012
chautauqua County, NY
Just picked up our second pellet stove...a 10-cpm!

I really wanted this stove but figured we'd end up with a 25-pah because of price. Lowe's had them for 1999 though, and pulled the trigger.

It will be going in the basement for a primary heat source there. We hope the heat down there will prompt the finishing process to speed up haha. The basement is 1500 square with an insulated ceiling and walls. The walls are superior walls with 1" poly insulation. We'll moste likely add roll insulation to the walls as well. We plan on putting it in the mancave by the bar and tv etc. She wanted it because her treadmilll is down there and it's only 40 in the winter with no heat.

I'll post pictures later of the proposed install for feedback....cheers!

Nice....another 10-cpm owner on the forum. Keep us updated and include pics!! :cheese:

alltherage said:

We'll be waiting... Until then it didn't happen... :lol:

smoke show said:
alltherage said:

We'll be waiting... Until then it didn't happen... :lol:

Yep. What he said.

Nice call on the Englander. They make a nice product, thats affordable. Rare these days.

Time to jump on board Dex!!!! Just pull the trigger, man. Do it!!!

jrsdws said:

Bout time you picked an Avatar.... Good choice.

Im pretty close. I gotta sell the Quad 1st. And I am waiting till the end of the season.

DexterDay said:
jrsdws said:

Bout time you picked an Avatar.... Good choice.

Im pretty close. I gotta sell the Quad 1st. And I am waiting till the end of the season.

I know!!!! But the beast is an ugly unsightly thing and the Baby...well...eh....I finally have something now worth showing...LOL

BTW....Congrats on the new stove!!! You're gonna love it.

Just an observation on my 3 different installs....That first fire doesn't seem to burn quite right unless you're enjoying your favorite drink when you fire it up.

got the cpm hooked up today...she's a beauty...we're going to call her "Bertha"...cuz she's big and heavy.

anyway, it lit up fine which was great, but the gfi outlets kept tripping. We canned it for the day and will install new ones tomorrow.

Here's my issue...
when the outlet tripped, the pellets smoldered afterwards of course. smoke was coming from the ash pan area though and into the basement...is that normal? it wasn't heavy smoke but enough to smoke up the room. thanks for any help you have.

alltherage said:
got the cpm hooked up today...she's a beauty...we're going to call her "Bertha"...cuz she's big and heavy.

anyway, it lit up fine which was great, but the gfi outlets kept tripping. We canned it for the day and will install new ones tomorrow.

Here's my issue...
when the outlet tripped, the pellets smoldered afterwards of course. smoke was coming from the ash pan area though and into the basement...is that normal? it wasn't heavy smoke but enough to smoke up the room. thanks for any help you have.

Our 20 amp GFI outlets also tripped, contrary to what the manufacturer said. Had to take it off GFI and on a regular 20 amp.

You will need to ensure that the ash pan is properly seated and the gasket is intact. You shouldn't have smoke coming out.

We had our 10-CPM installed in Nov. and just love it.

alltherage said:

Here's my issue...

Pellet stoves are not usually supposed to be plugged into a GFI outlet....look at P.5 and Englander has updated that to:

"Must be a 15A circuit minimum, should be 20A if circuit is GFIC protected. We highly recommend a surge protector for our unit, as the control panel is electronic"

IMO, get rid of the GFI and install a good quality surge protector.

As for the smoke, how do you have your exhaust set up? Is there at least 3-4' of vertical in it?

imacman said:
alltherage said:

Here's my issue...

Pellet stoves are not usually supposed to be plugged into a GFI outlet....look at P.5 and Englander has updated that to:

"Must be a 15A circuit minimum, should be 20A if circuit is GFIC protected. We highly recommend a surge protector for our unit, as the control panel is electronic"

As for the smoke, how do you have your exhaust set up? Is there at least 3-4' of vertical in it?

Imacman has great suggestions. But other than the 3'-4' rise? Do you also have the OAK hooked up per instructions manual?

The stove in the event of a power outage will leak some through the airwash and maybe one or two other small spots (hole around combustion blower shaft). This is if conditions are right...

Power went out here yesterday while we were gone. Got home and the power was back on and stove top was still warm, but not a single hint of smoke in the house.

Gotta have the 3'-4' vertical rise and OAK hooked up for sure in case power goes out. Can you show pictures of the install and tell us what side of house...prevailing winds, etc? What side of house is venting and what were the wind conditions?

i'll comment more later, short on time this morning. It was very windy yesterday and the winds do hit that side. There is more than 4' vertical. I'm geussing the ashpan isn't seated perfect and the winds had something to do with it. I'm not hugely concerned because we do have auto generator backup. Idon't know what the gfi's currently are, but i'll get some 20's today. They do go bad i've heard too. thanks for the suggestions.

i have to conquer the gfi thing because we've had this issue before in the basement during party's etc. so it's not just for the stove, but all the other stuff too. the garage does the same thing. going to replace both i guess. all the outlets are linked to each gfi

i just looked at the end pipe and of course it was left facing into the wind slightly. I'm sure that had a ton to do with it yesterday...no pun intended lol The smoke came in spurts most likely coinciding with the wind gusts.

The venting rises vertically 8 feet and then there's a 3' horizontal that goes out of the sill above the foundation.

My plan is to correct that and put the new outlets in today and get her burning for more than 5 minutes!! Love the stove though so far.

Sounds like you're on the right track. A simple wind block for that vent might just do you. Do you have the OAK installed, too? The fresh air from the OAK, especially if wind is hitting it, should help push that smoke right up your 8' vertical run and out.

Can you you tell us what all components your venting consist of? How many elbows, 45s, 90s, tees, etc., etc.? Also what size vent pipe?

imacman said:
alltherage said:

Here's my issue...

No motor should be on GFCI. It will trip. That goes for refrigerators in garages, and pellet stoves.

we got the gfi problem fixed...fired up the stove but having troubles with the blower kicking on now...i posted a separate topic on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.