Just bought a house (new to fireplace) and have question on BCF 3885

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbhavinm

Oct 14, 2009
Eastern MA
Hi All,

I just bought a house and have a question on BCF 3885 ( http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/overview.asp?pid=315 ) installed in my home. It is 10 years old.

Can anyone tell me if this fireplace is good and would it provide enough heat to heat about 1000 square feets? I have heard that this fireplace ends up losing heat from the house rather then heating the house (since it is zero clearance fireplace).

It does not currently have glass doors. Would installing glass doors help in providing more or longer lasting heat?

Any information or reviews on BCF 3885 will be helpful.

Thanks
Bob

It's not gonna heat anything more than the space right in front of it,
& it's gonna suck air - AIR the you've already paid to heat -
out of the rest of the house.
If you put glass doors on it, they will keep some of the heat in the house
when you're not using it.
Pyro-Ceram doors may help with heating, but the cost will floor ya.
Find an insert approved for a ZC install, or put a wood stove in front of it....

bob75 said:
Hi All,

I just bought a house and have a question on BCF 3885 ( http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/overview.asp?pid=315 ) installed in my home. It is 10 years old.

Can anyone tell me if this fireplace is good and would it provide enough heat to heat about 1000 square feets? I have heard that this fireplace ends up losing heat from the house rather then heating the house (since it is zero clearance fireplace).
. . .

You've heard right . . . just about all fireplaces are not efficient for heating homes.

"Glass" doors may help some . . . taking Daksy's advice and going with an insert approved for ZC fireplaces would be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.