Just bought a new englander 30 and my firewood is too long to fit.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtcates

Mar 1, 2010
Central NC
My firewood is 20 to 23 inches long. It was cut for my old stove but it will not go in my new Englander 30. I have about 7 cords that is too long. I guess I'll set up my chop saw and cut off a few inches of every piece before I put them in the stove. What would you do?

Welcome to the club. In November 2006 I replaced the old stove that took 24" splits and spent the whole winter going out and lopping off the ends off of enough wood for the day.

Sucked. Big time.

me too...i got so sick of cutting them..i saved them for march and april and put them in diagonal,and filled the spaces in between with my chunk pieces.

Chop saw is the easiest way. With my lil morso I often have to re-cut my splits to make them fit.

Well, as usual, you have different ways of dealing with this. Cut enough off of each split to make them fit, or just chop 'em all in half. Obviously, going forward, all new wood will be cut shorter, 'eh?
Do keep us updated on how you like the stove. It's on my list.

Yup. We faced the same situation. We have now gotten through all that long stuff and happy for it.

I'll probably just put the 12 inch blade chop saw handy and cut it as I put it in the stove. Its just one of those things. I figure cutting all the wood in half is still less work than replacing the extra wood I would burn with the old stove. Last year I burned 5 cords. I hope 3.5 will be the norm now.

1st year with the new stove...all things remaining equal I bet its 4 plus, the next year closer to 3. I went thru 6.5 cords a year and I think got to 5 in year one with the new stove, now 4-4.5 is a best guess...

I did that with some of mine too Matt, problem is you have to cut them down to pack the stove for an overnight burn...

It is kinda like Washington Redskin football. "There is always next year." :coolsmirk:

homebrewz said:
Some good ideas for over-length firewood was recently discussed in this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60241/

I made the jig Zap made in this thread. It works great! I've tried the 12" chop saw thing and frankly I thought it was to time consuming.

Much easier and I thought safer to use the jig with the chainsaw. The hardwood splits and the chopsaw liked to bind and twist. JMHO

Gooserider made a jig consisting of pallets that let him stack a bunch and cut them at once. I can't find the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.