Just bought a Northstar Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2005
Connecticut
I pulled the trigger and bought a Northstar Fireplace to replace a ZC fireplace that i've never used. Now I have to rip out the old and get ready for the new. My chase is interior with another pipe from an old woodstove, which used to be in the basement, which will be removed. It is on the first floor of a two-story house. Should I still insulate and sheet rock the chase even though it is an interior chase? I don't know what is in there now. Any other advice or things you would've done differently? My installer advices against a block off plate, and instead recommends sheet rocking across the chase at the ceiling levels of each floor with the appropriate fire stopping will be sufficient. I am pretty excited, although the thought of having to process wood for three stoves (2 in my house and 1 at my dad's house that I maintain) is pretty taunting.

Rick

<>I pulled the trigger and bought a Northstar Fireplace to replace a ZC fireplace that i've never used. <>

Good for you! I hope your dealer gave you the $600 price reduction!
You picked a good unit...'
We burn one daily - thru the winter - in our showroom & it kicks A$$!

<>Should I still insulate and sheet rock the chase even though it is an interior chase? I don't know what is in there now. Any other advice or things you would've done differently? My installer advices against a block off plate, and instead recommends sheet rocking across the chase at the ceiling levels of each floor with the appropriate fire stopping will be sufficient.<>

No need to insulate an interior chase. You will need fire decks at each floor level. We install them using 1/2 OSB with the steel firestops available from Heat n Glo that match the SL 300 series venting...
Good luck with your install!

What $600 price reduction? I am paying 4200 plus tax for the unit, all chimney and venting, misc supplies and install. I didn't shop around, did I get taken?

HHT (Hearth & Home Technologies) is offering up to $600 off on most of their products
Til 30 April...I believe the sale started on 1 Feb...
I know the Northstar qualifies for the $600...

Status
Not open for further replies.