Just bought a noyes and nutter kineo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marshbuddy

Nov 11, 2018
North Carolina
D5894D05-75DC-4EB7-A525-7B1799ED0497.png
Just found this at a yard sale, not sure what model and if it will heat my basement, top flips up with a small cook plate, I assume it’s wood not coal but don’t know. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
You assumed wrong it was a coal stove. But the grates may be gone by now. And no i wouldnt use it.

View attachment 233004

what can I do with it? The guy told me they used it to heat the garage and it was wood. That’s a Bummer. Any ideas
Many people burn wood in stoves like this one. But it burns very hot and fast. It may be safe to use but it is going to burn through wood so fast it would be worth it to me.

Many people burn wood in stoves like this one. But it burns very hot and fast. It may be safe to use but it is going to burn through wood so fast it would be worth it to me.
Is there something special I need to do to set it up? I want to use it to supliment in the winter for my heat pump that just runs on auxiliary all the time.

Is there something special I need to do to set it up? I want to use it to supliment in the winter for my heat pump that just runs on auxiliary all the time.
Make sure all the joints between plates are tight all doors seal tight etc. Then you need 36" clearance to combustibles from the stove 18" from the pipe if its single wall. And the chimney needs to be inspected to be sure it is in good useable condition. Then be ready to reload every couple hours.

bholler may be correct, but this looks like it might be a variation on the Kineo Cottage Wood Parlor stove based on the 1912 catalog, but with mica glass windows and a porch like finial. They made a lot of variations over the years. Can you open up the side door and post a picture of the grates?

It's not what I'd install if the goal is 24/7 winter heating, but when burning it will help as a supplement. Might be fine for nights and weekends. Clearances can be reduced to 12" with proper ventilated wall shielding.

bholler may be correct, but this looks like it might be a variation on the Kineo Cottage Wood Parlor stove based on the 1912 catalog, but with mica glass windows and a porch like finial. They made a lot of variations over the years. Can you open up the side door and post a picture of the grates?

It's not what I'd install if the goal is 24/7 winter heating, but when burning it will help as a supplement. Might be fine for nights and weekends. Clearances can be reduced to 12" with proper ventilated wall shielding.
The air inlet on the ash lip makes me think coal. No reason for it with wood. Probably lump coal because i dont see a skaker

It thought the same but they had that ashlip intake on the Kineo Cottage & Pearl Wood Parlor stoves. Maybe it was for quicker starting or ducted to above the fire?

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 12.36.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 12.38.32 PM.png

Last edited: