Just bought a VC Vigilant stove from a friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NJ PondGuy

Oct 20, 2018
Jackson, New Jersey
I bought a Vigilant stove with a brown ceramic like finish. Tag on the back is dated 9/25/80. I was hoping and thinking it was a wood stove. The stove was not what I have seen in a typical wood burner, that I have seen in the past. After some research the of the mysterious items that came with the stove, I realized this stove was on it's way to being converted to a coal burner. I'm ok with coal and can get anthracite locally. My concerns are I need to reassemble the internal parts. What should I know about this stove? (Inspecting, possible restoration and any quarks I should be aware of) I have a local chimney sweep acquaintance who might be able to help. I have had past conversations about installing the stack for me so we are code and insurable. Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated!